14yr old male Umbrella Cockatoo

Foreverodd81

Jun 13, 2023
Parrots
I have a 14 yr old male umbrella Cockatoo
Who was very neglected and surrendered to me.
This poor boy has had two owners before me. He was locked in a cage 99% of the time and kept in a quiet room all by himself. He had some toys and was mostly fed seeds. He isn’t a plucker but his feathers are not very healthy and his beak is cracking and his nails are way too long. We will be visiting the vet soon to get him trimmed up (so he can be mad at the vet not me) and I am feeding his lots of fresh veggies and a little fruit along with Good quality parrot pellets and seeds. I have vitamin supplements coming in today. It only took about 3 hours after I brought him home for him to come to me and we instantly bonded and we snuggle and give kisses and he wants to be with me 24/7 the only words I have heard him say is “Hello” he thankfully doesn’t go after my husband or sons but when they come close he backs away and hisses. I’m praying that someday he will become at least tolerant of them. He does “cry” and sometimes scream when I have to put him in or on his cage because I have other animals to attend to. I know Large parrots pretty well but I worked with a rescue years ago and have never owned a large parrot long term. Any tips and tricks would be very welcome. I absolutely plan to have him till I die and he will then be passed down to my son. He also has a 6’x4’x3’ cage. It’s massive! He also has a large stand perch in every room.

Attachments

• IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7127.jpeg
    IMG_7127.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7105.jpeg
    IMG_7105.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 32

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

How wonderful of you to take him in! I bet he’s so grateful!

Though he doesn’t appear to be plucking, I think he is barbering his tummy feathers.

I hope the vet visit goes well! Keep us updated!

OP
F

Foreverodd81

Jun 13, 2023
Parrots
I have a 14 yr old male umbrella Cockatoo
Who was very neglected and surrendered to me.
Welcome to the forums!

How wonderful of you to take him in! I bet he’s so grateful!

Though he doesn’t appear to be plucking, I think he is barbering his tummy feathers.

I hope the vet visit goes well! Keep us updated!
Thank you, yes I’m super glad he isn’t plucking. I think he will do well, especially after he gets settled in and comfortable.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
He is awesome.
I hope he bonds with rest of family.

Most Reactions