Help with my new lovebird :) Plz

anginaz

Feb 2, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Sweetest Peach Faced Lovebird Ever :)
Hi everyone :) I'm new not only to these forums, but to bird ownership as well. I know the basics to bird care and what not being that I am a veterinary technician and the hospital I work at caters to Exotics and not just cats & dogs.

But I am not familiar with the personalities and ins and outs of owning a Lovebird.

Basically, this guy was brought in to the clinic with the intention of euthanization. He seemed perfectly healthy and was very quiet when they brought him in, and we asked the owners to transfer ownership to us instead. They agreed, he was checked out by our Vet, given a clean bill of health, and I now have a beautiful little guy. :)

I've had him for a little over a week now, and he's been a joy so far. I just want to give him the best that I possibly can.

I'd also like some help with decoding some of the things that he does, and what he may possibly mean by certain actions, noises, etc. If anyone has a good site that covers these things, that would be great! :D

Otherwise, I could just greatly use some insight into these guys.

He ignores all of his toys so far, but loves spending time outside of his cage and just sits on my shoulder for hours making little noises and watching what is going on in the house. He doesn't bite me at all, but will bite my boyfriend, or anyone else.

Thank you all in advance!

-Ang

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Oh he is so sweet and looks just like my Basil! Do you know how old he is? He will need time to get used to his new home and family and cage and toys. But it seems that he is already used to you! Basil loves me best. If my daughter takes him out of his cage, he will fly over to me. He will sit with her if she's giving him treats, but it's Mommy that he loves best. Sounds like your little guy loves you too. What a wonderful thing you did to give him a new home.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Thanks for saving this little guy. There is a lot of info about Lovies online, just search. There is also a "Lovebird Forum", exclusive to Lovebirds. Check that out. Good luck with him!

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
Why the heck where they wanting to euthanize him!?! Poor little guy! Thank goodness you were there to take him. <3
He's adorable, and I hope you both have a long and happy life together.

I've been researching lovies lately, too, and there's about a dozen really good "lovebird care" websites, if you google them. The thing I found most helpful so far was YouTube, watching videos of lovebirds just to see how they sound, how they play, and how they interract with humans.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new lovebird baby and thank you for saving him and giving him a home. eir are lots of lovie owners on here that I am sure will come along and be able to give you information. Also feel free to ask questions:)

Most Reactions