Help with Picking

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Congrats on your new birdies & awesome choice on the double macaw cage. I've been wanting to get one of those for my Amazon's, but Gigi is at times a little too aggressive towards Sisqo, and I'm afraid would be much too territorial about sharing the top.

I saw the pics on her website of the Blue Throated Macaws and they are beautiful!

Congrats again!!

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
Macaws will be macaws. ALL OF THEM can be messy and loud.

Macaws require a lot of attention and a lot of space. They can also become very beaky, and will test you quite often. They like to be in charge. They also can eat you out of house and home liLITERALLY. My macaws have left nice little holes in my furniture, nice chunks of wood missing from my antique hutch and so on.

That being said, macaws are HUGE clowns with HUGE personalities. They love to play around and act like monkeys.

I suggest that maybe you visit a local rescue and see if they have any macaws. This way you can get an idea of how they are and maybe rescue one or get one out of the paper.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I'm not a psychotic axe-murder n e eve... I'm just the crazy stalker type ... :18:
lol, when me and my friend liked this guy we would "go to our lockers" to "get books" hoping to see them:32:. we sat near them n from across the room we looked at them through a pocket mirror while pretending to fix there hair:54:. we even figured out half there scedual lol. btw we dont like them anymore, the funny thing was the whole time they were completely oblivious to us lol! well, back to the topic, i would get a red front, they have amazing personalities, they play games, cuddle, there quieter than other macaws but by no means quiet, there hilarious, friendly and just plane awsome. actually they have beutiful flaming orange under there wings and on there shoulders, and a brilliant blue on there tails. there all
the big macaw in a medium package with a smaller beak but big personality. im 14 and theres no chance of me getting a bird till i have my own house (pets and parents who i love but they dont want birds) but of the birds i want beleive me a red front is high up on that list! textdot33 is right! ;D
i want a: linnie,caique,cape parrot,male ekkie, red fronted macaw...one day...one day;)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I'm not a psychotic axe-murder n e eve... I'm just the crazy stalker type ... :18:
lol, when me and my friend liked this guy we would "go to our lockers" to "get books" hoping to see them:32:. we sat near them n from across the room we looked at them through a pocket mirror while pretending to fix there hair:54:. we even figured out half there scedual lol. btw we dont like them anymore, the funny thing was the whole time they were completely oblivious to us lol! well, back to the topic, i would get a red front, they have amazing personalities, they play games, cuddle, there quieter than other macaws but by no means quiet, there hilarious, friendly and just plane awsome. actually they have beutiful flaming orange under there wings and on there shoulders, and a brilliant blue on there tails. there all
the big macaw in a medium package with a smaller beak but big personality. im 14 and theres no chance of me getting a bird till i have my own house (pets and parents who i love but they dont want birds) but of the birds i want beleive me a red front is high up on that list! textdot33 is right! ;D
i want a: linnie,caique,cape parrot,male ekkie, red fronted macaw...one day...one day;)

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
I went with the Greenwing because of its reputed gentleness.

Because this was my first large bird, and because I was aware that a lot of new Macaw owners end up getting rid of their bird (check out Craigslist) due to the noise and the biting, I knew I needed to come up to speed on how to train the bird. To increase my chances of success I also knew I wanted the least troublesome of the Macaws.

The Hyacinth was too expensive. The Greenwing was more expensive than the Blue and Gold and the Scarlet, but I figured the benefits outweighed the additional cost.

Oh -- I also made the decision to not get an older Macaw due to the possibility that it might possess bad habits (screaming and biting) inadvertantly "taught" to it by its previous owners. My new baby Greenwing with cage ended up costing about three times what I could have gotten a seven year old Scarlet for off Craigslist.

I read a lot about the importance of adopting a "rescued bird" from a shelter instead of incentivizing the evil breeding industry by buying a new baby. You'll read a lot about people having saved this bird or rescued that bird. I applaud these people their obvious selflessness, but my first concerns were with my own family. I figured if I was going to be successful at this, the last thing I needed was to take in a bird who, through no fault of its own, had developed habits which made it impossible for the previous owners to keep the bird in their own home.

I've read eight books about parrots as well as a number of articles, and I purchase two courses on how to train parrots with positive reinforcement. I'm doing my best to be prepared when my baby comes home in June.

Stay tuned to hear about my successes and my failures.

Last edited:

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
hahaha i just found it funny... "THE BIGGER THE BIRD, THE BIGGER THE MESS" tell that to a rainbow lorikeet XD

Most Reactions