help with stepping up

melissatx

Aug 7, 2011
Hi, I have had dougall for 4 weeks. I have done a search but cant find the answer to my question. I am asking dougie to step up and half the time he scoots down the perch and refuses except when he wants out. In the morning after his breakfast I put him on his play gym for a while then put him back for lunch and out again in the afternoon. I think he must know how because if he wants out he practically jumps onto my hand but when its time to go back into his cage he refuses to step up. Am I supposed to keep asking and make him or is there another way? He is not agressive just stubborn. advice please!

melissa

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
No, he's just smart.

Try just putting him on the cage, like it's another play area, don't shut the door when he goes in.

Use a treat to lure him onto your hand...

Put his cage in an area you spend most your time so he's still "right there" with you, and not secluded.

If these don't work reply back, everyone has gone through this..... and there are a lot of ideas.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My guy is no fool either. To come out he is there before I say it and for a while I tried it straight. Now I hoodwink him. He will do anything for a sunflower seed. So I have really small ones that I show him. He steps up and steps down on his perch in the cage - I say good boy and he has his treat. We are both happy and by the time he might have thought about me being cleverer than him he is well into something else. Job done!

Most Reactions

Latest posts