Help!?!?

xxsavvi98

Sep 15, 2023
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
My 7 month old conure (unsure of the gender) is humping? Me and other items. Hatch date was 02/12/2023. Scout is straddling things and wiggling around. Scout is fed Zupreem pellets and fruits and veggies.
Has 10-12 hours of sleep with a cover and I’m at my wits end. I thought he/she was too young for this.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
LOL WELP Yeah they do that..... Probably male....The female tend to rub against your neck a lot.

Guess you have an early bloomer....It can happen....

I'd focus on the relationship with you and your bird and ignore the fact it's acting like a 13yo boy. I was basically given the same advice previously and also it went away on it's own.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My 7 month old conure (unsure of the gender) is humping? Me and other items. Hatch date was 02/12/2023. Scout is straddling things and wiggling around. Scout is fed Zupreem pellets and fruits and veggies.
Has 10-12 hours of sleep with a cover and I’m at my wits end. I thought he/she was too young for this.
As @clark_conure has suggested, you might have an early bloomer. I have a princess parrot hen who is only about 10 months old or so who is a VERY early bloomer, they're not supposed to mature until about the age of 2 but she's VERY clucky already, mind you that may be because she's fallen madly in love with my handsome lorikeet rooster!!

There are other aspects that may have brought this on with your conure though. Just make sure to only pet your bird on the head and neck, as petting or stroking them on the back and tail is considered sexual with parrots. Also don't provide anything that might be considered by them as a nesting site, those happy huts in particular can be quite problematic for a number of different reasons. Cutting down on fruit or cutting it out altogether may help too. Birds in captivity don't really need fruit as it's high in sugar and the energy that it provides may well be channelled into undesirable behaviours like this, so best to focus on providing lower calorie vegetables instead.

Other than that, welcome to the Forums to you and Scout! Don't forget to post some pics of your little one will you? Cos we love baby photos around here 😍

Most Reactions