Help!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You can still give SOME corn, but it has to be a measured limited quantity...

Mine would gorge herself on corn if left to her own devices... and then half an hour later looked like she had an advanced case of Parkinson's...

She still got SOME mixed in with her regular food, but I had to limit the amount of it.

As long as she got her bean mix, and her sweet potato, less corn was forgiven...

I STUFFED MYSELF ON THAT OTHER STUFF...

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh yeah between the pellets and the corn every night it was bound to happen. Stop the corn all together for a couple of weeks. Then give her a little one day and see how she reacts. There are eclectus that can have corn once in a while and some that can't have it at all you will have to see.

I am not sure if you can get the Volkmans....easy enough to check I guess. Otherwise like I said a high quality seed with no additives will work.

OP
P

Peppagirl

Jun 25, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Peppa and Angus

Mine would gorge herself on corn if left to her own devices... and then half an hour later looked like she had an advanced case of Parkinson's...

She still got SOME mixed in with her regular food, but I had to limit the amount of it.

As long as she got her bean mix, and her sweet potato, less corn was forgiven...

She generally has sweet potatoe, pumpkin peas and corn for dinner. The amount of corn would probably be about a tablespoon.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

She generally has sweet potatoe, pumpkin peas and corn for dinner. The amount of corn would probably be about a tablespoon.

PLEASE give her system a break and STOP the corn altogether for a couple weeks. Toe Tapping is very frustrating to them. Imagine having no control over a part of your body. You also don't want to get in the habit of feeding the same thing day in and day out. Eclectus thrive on variety.

OP
P

Peppagirl

Jun 25, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Peppa and Angus
Oh yeah between the pellets and the corn every night it was bound to happen. Stop the corn all together for a couple of weeks. Then give her a little one day and see how she reacts. There are eclectus that can have corn once in a while and some that can't have it at all you will have to see.

I am not sure if you can get the Volkmans....easy enough to check I guess. Otherwise like I said a high quality seed with no additives will work.
Thank you. I'll minus the corn out of her diet for a while, definitely get rid of the pellets and see how she goes. When I got her I was given sunflower seeds and normal seed for her. But I don't give it to her.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's about what mine got, as I recall. A teaspoon or so sprinkled in. So, this goes back to my original premise, it's probably the pellets...

But too much corn is frequently a trigger. So if stopping pellets doesn't do it, that's probably your answer.

I defer to Laura on this though. She's the Eckie Guru around here.

OP
P

Peppagirl

Jun 25, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Peppa and Angus

PLEASE give her system a break and STOP the corn altogether for a couple weeks. Toe Tapping is very frustrating to them. Imagine having no control over a part of your body. You also don't want to get in the habit of feeding the same thing day in and day out. Eclectus thrive on variety.
I'll give her a break from the corn.

Most Reactions