My lovebird wont stop making himself bleed!

NikkoLover

Aug 30, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird (Male)
In October our lovebird started acting odd, having trouble flying. We took his to an emergency appointment with his Avian Vet. They determined Nikko might have gotten caught somewhere and pulled so hard that he opened himself up under his left armpit. They let me know that the wound wasn't too deep gave me antibiotics and pain medication plus a lotion to help with healing.

Second day, Nikko mutilated his back, opening up the left and right side of his back plucking feathers and bleeding. We ended up needing to put a cone on him per the vet. He pulled off so many of his neck feathers in attempt to get the cone off!

So now a month later he still had the cone on, and anytime we remove it he goes crazy preening himself and breathes hard since he is getting a couple new feathers in and causes bleeding!

We have a 3rd appointment with the vet next week. At this point I have no idea what to do! I just want him to stop making himself bleed.

Can anyone advise? I am so stressed out and don't know what to do to make him stop. He never used to do this prior to his injury, he was such a happy energetic bird and used to eat veggies, fruits, and his Pellets mixed with food. So his diet was great.

Attachments

• 20231109_210027.jpg
    20231109_210027.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231111_075740.jpg
    20231111_075740.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 32

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry that your baby is chewing his upper body. It is possible that in may have begun as an injury and likely has turned into an infection and possible now beginning to become a behavior.

Have you Vet determine the proper medication to treat a surface infection and also provide medication that helps reduce the itch as part of healing. Your will find that you will be first treating with the medication for infection and once healing begins the medication to help reduce itching and promotes healing.

Bathing is important as the medication will build-up and contribute to the problem. You may find that you are faced with daily baths and placing on the medication within a couple of hours (or longer if possible). Note: Medications should be applied thinly!

It is very possible, that your parrot will now always be into this cycle. If that becomes true, your Vet may try to monthly lightly blunt the beak, removing just a tiny amount to limit the beak from being very sharp. The amount removed is very, very small!

Get started with the medications ASAP as the longer this goes on the greater the likelihood of it becoming a locked in behavior.

OP
NikkoLover

NikkoLover

Aug 30, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird (Male)
Very sorry that your baby is chewing his upper body. It is possible that in may have begun as an injury and likely has turned into an infection and possible now beginning to become a behavior.

Have you Vet determine the proper medication to treat a surface infection and also provide medication that helps reduce the itch as part of healing. Your will find that you will be first treating with the medication for infection and once healing begins the medication to help reduce itching and promotes healing.

Bathing is important as the medication will build-up and contribute to the problem. You may find that you are faced with daily baths and placing on the medication within a couple of hours (or longer if possible). Note: Medications should be applied thinly!

It is very possible, that your parrot will now always be into this cycle. If that becomes true, your Vet may try to monthly lightly blunt the beak, removing just a tiny amount to limit the beak from being very sharp. The amount removed is very, very small!

Get started with the medications ASAP as the longer this goes on the greater the likelihood of it becoming a locked in behavior.
Thank you for responding. We have also been thinking it may be a skin infection. We will definitely have the vet examin him at his coming appointment next week. I hope it does not turn into a habit, that is my worst fear, I miss him being himself. My crazy, wild, energetic bird versus sad and mutilating himself. I'm really hoping we can get this resolved soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts