Helping Injured Pigeon - Graphic Photos

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
Outdoors creatures are almost always carrying internal parasites. They are not confined in an area where they are always in contact with their feces, dander or other biological debris, so they do not usually overload, and that is what causes issues in captive animals.

Most wild animals also usually have something they eat or do to occasionally drop the parasite loads before they hit critical mass.

Snakes shed to drop mites , bears hibernate which helps kill off their huge tapeworms, some birds use ants, turtles and sharks use cleaner fish,etc.

This is a great thing you are doing but please be incredibly careful for your own safety as pigeons carry several extremely nasty zoonotic diseases that could have you in the hospital.

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
[ame="https://youtu.be/sadXUo9INNs"]Pigeon With Tangled Foot - YouTube[/ame]

A video of the pigeons story so far...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the video update!

What a change that has been made over the short time you have had this pigeon.

And a much larger Thank-You, for taking this Pigeon and providing it care!

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
3 lovebirds (Max, Zloba & Zora)
(Pika, lovebird, RIP 11/2017) & 2 budgies (Picek & Njofra)
Just watched the video and the foot is recovering so, so, so well! Keep it up!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
UPDATE:
The pigeon is healing up, but doesn't have any real gripping ability. One toe is pretty much perfect. At present, the back toe is located at the side of the foot, and the middle toes are a bit wonky and lie on their sides. She seems to be able to stand on it fine and has even been sleeping perched on just the bad foot! So that's all good.

Here's a foot 'before and after'

BEFORE

AFTER

I've moved her in with my flock at the moment. Previously she'd been in a location where she could hear them this whole time, so she is already kind of familiar with them. She seems to be spending most of her time with my youngest male (Ducky).

Maybe she'll stay part of my flock...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What a wonderful improvement in all regards! The overall shape and coloration is testimony to the support care you have provided her. Congrats! Job well done!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's great news! You did such a good job with the foot. She even made a new friend :D. I hope you keep her.

Last edited:

Most Reactions