Helping Miss Ivy Adjust

lizmboo

Oct 23, 2014
Hi there! My name is Liz, and I have just adopted a cockatoo from someone who could not care for her anymore. We visited several times before actually moving her (and her friends) to their new homes. She came into our home on Sunday and has been very loving. She allows me to pet her (on her terms), but she no longer allows me to hold her (unless I get her in the bathroom, then I can hold her). She is rejecting my husband all together, and I appreciate that she needs to adjust to her new surroundings, but I don't understand what I am doing wrong! My mother came over yesterday to visit and Miss Ivy allowed her to pick her up, as well as my father in law. Neither of them have had the amount of time that my husband and I have with her. This is not a huge problem yet, but it is difficult having that barrier. It makes simple things harder on her... example- when it is time for her to go back into her house, it is a fight and usually have to get a towel... Or, if she wanders the house and we need her out of a certain room it is also a fight. Is this a sign of her not trusting me?? She has been through a lot the last couple days, but I just don't understand how she is choosing. Thanks!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Liz, welcome to the forums!

You didn't say what species of cockatoo you have or what age she is? Even though you spent time with Ms. Ivy in her former home, now that she has been moved, things have changed dramatically for her. Everything is brand new to her, she will need time to adjust to her new life and new people. She's probably very confused and stressed right now. Give her time to build some trust with you before you expect too much. All birds are different but it often takes weeks or months for a Too to feel comfortable and confident in a new environment.

A friendly word of caution, cockatoos can get themselves into a world of trouble if allowed to run around on the floor. There are all kinds of dangers in the average home for a bird. If you have a safe area and a play stand for your bird when she's out of her cage, you can establish a routine and she will learn where she is allowed to play.

We would love to see pics of Ms. Ivy, best of luck with your new family member.

OP
L

lizmboo

Oct 23, 2014
She is a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo and she is 10 years old. She has had the same home since she was a baby. So between her environment changing and the diet change she is being weened into, she is not happy. We are slowly changing her daily eating habits. As far as "her" space, she is allowed on our hard floors, as we have no low wires and the electrical sockets are blocked. She does pretty good staying in that area, but wanders sometimes and we have to get her back. I wasn't aware she could get into much trouble on the floor, so thank you for letting me know. We are in the process of a play stand right now. I would love to share a picture of her, but cannot figure out how to post it on here! Thanks!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I love the sulphur crests! Sounds like you have a lovely girl. All birds are different, Ivy might do fine on the floor. My U2 has radar for anything dangerous and can't be trusted to roam. He delights in taking things apart, running under furniture, and chewing everything in his path.

It can take a while to change an older bird's diet, and they can be very stubborn about it, but it's a lot better for them to develop healthier eating habits.

A lot of us use photobucket to post our pictures, it's easy to use and you aren't limited as to how many photos you can post.

Most Reactions