Hemlock for toys??

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hubby is building me a carport. He got the wood from a local amish sawmill and it is Hemlock. From looking at the safe/not safe wood list, it looks like Hemlock lumber would be safe to make block toys out of, as long as it's not the foliage. What do you guys think? There will be many scraps and I hate wasting them if I can use them. I called and left a message with the vet yesterday about Peanut and will ask him about it when he calls back also. We did ask the vet about making a play tree out of a large piece of American Chestnut that was given to us by our neighbor. This tree is almost extinct so I can't find much about it, but the doctor said it should be fine as it's such a hard wood. Thoughts??

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In North America both American Chestnut and Hemlock are near extinct hardwoods i.e. their grain pattern is naturally tight and their growth rate is slow even in excellent growing years.

Since, you are using either natural or mill dried 'cut' plank wood with no bark edges they are safe for use.

Since both are hardwoods, I would recommend that you sample a couple of pieces with your parrot(s) first. Some parrots, even the big boys may not like to work with some hardwoods, others will love the challenge. So, before you make a dozen new toys, trail run a couple.

Last edited:
OP
4dugnlee

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Thank you. The hemlock has no bark on it and is rough cut. Peanut is the one that loves to chew up wood blocks but I wouldn't give them to her if there was a chance of it being bad for her. The American chestnut is actually a tree that the neighbor cut down (his wife didn't want it where it was) and trimmed so we could make a parrot tree. It does have the bark on in, but I would take the bark off before making it a stand/tree for the fids, if it would be safe for them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very sorry that your neighbor has chosen to cut down an American Chestnut. There is a disease that has been killing them for years and their population is dropping rapidly.

As I understand the disease, it attacks the bark. The bark and the layer just below (inside of) the bark is commonly where the majority of chemicals including moisture are carried up or down. By removing the bark and the first lay below (inside) will eliminate any disease, etc... carried by an American Chestnut.

Skin branches or cut boards and allow to dry naturally (off the ground where sun light and wind can flow around them).

Most people who use natural branch from their own gatherings will cut the branches early Winter (December) skin or cut boards free of bark and allow to dry for one or two months depending on size and temperature. Lower temperatures drive moisture out of the wood quicker.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I can't say with how accurate this site is, however, they claim 'hemlock' is NOT safe for parrots:

Safe and Dangerous Woods

More links right here:
Safe and Toxic Plants for Pet Birds List, poisonous and toxic plants for pet birds, safe herbs for pet birds, safe flowers for pet birds, safe garden plants for pet birds, safe garden flowers for pet birds, safe seeds to grow for pet birds, safe hous

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/14608-chestnuts.html

In any case, if ANY of the wood was ever sprayed with any kind of pesticide/fungicide, I'd most definitely stay away from it. And if in doubt - stay way from it.

Better be safe than sorry.

OP
4dugnlee

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
So very sorry that your neighbor has chosen to cut down an American Chestnut. There is a disease that has been killing them for years and their population is dropping rapidly.

As I understand the disease, it attacks the bark. The bark and the layer just below (inside of) the bark is commonly where the majority of chemicals including moisture are carried up or down. By removing the bark and the first lay below (inside) will eliminate any disease, etc... carried by an American Chestnut.

Skin branches or cut boards and allow to dry naturally (off the ground where sun light and wind can flow around them).

Most people who use natural branch from their own gatherings will cut the branches early Winter (December) skin or cut boards free of bark and allow to dry for one or two months depending on size and temperature. Lower temperatures drive moisture out of the wood quicker.

Yes, we were surprised that he cut the American Chestnut tree also. Especially since he and his wife actually planted the tree years ago themselves. For whatever reason, his wife didn't like where it was and he cut it down. We had previously asked him about making us a grapevine stand for our parrots, and he brought over the American Chestnut and gave it to us. Hubby was aware of the extinction of the tree and was very shocked that they would want to cut it down.

I can't say with how accurate this site is, however, they claim 'hemlock' is NOT safe for parrots:

Safe and Dangerous Woods

More links right here:
Safe and Toxic Plants for Pet Birds List, poisonous and toxic plants for pet birds, safe herbs for pet birds, safe flowers for pet birds, safe garden plants for pet birds, safe garden flowers for pet birds, safe seeds to grow for pet birds, safe hous

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/14608-chestnuts.html

In any case, if ANY of the wood was ever sprayed with any kind of pesticide/fungicide, I'd most definitely stay away from it. And if in doubt - stay way from it.

Better be safe than sorry.

Thank you. I had seen the first link that you posted but not the second. Very useful information! We decided to just use the hemlock scraps as firewood at camp rather than take the chance. You are very right...better safe than sorry!!;)

cmike_77

Oct 15, 2015
Hawley PA
Parrots
Tequila Sunrise (Sun Conure)
Hemlock is a type of Pine that is going extinct. Especially in high traffic areas. Their roots are very shallow with many of them exposed to trails where people walk on them and ruin them. Read that at a local State Park. Anyways Hemlock being a kind of pine is rich in oils as most pines are. I would never use them for any of my reptiles or any animal that is not native to Hemlock trees. I would play on the side of caution and not use it. I know you said you used it for fire wood, I am just adding a little bit of personal info to the topic incase someone else comes across it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts