Here is my full story, any advice?

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Honestly you'll be happy with the sennie if it picks(ed) you but don't take anything you won't be happy with at least for the next 30 years. You may decide down the road you are ready for another bird. But decide if THIS one is your first.
I've had a grey and would love another. But I have an amazon, a conure and a lovebird. My lovie isn't hand tame and I have had him the longest. He hs a huge flight cage and so many toys it's insane. But neither of us are very attached to each other. I'm not a small bird person. I know this now but he will be with me until he dies.

It does sound like you maybe researched but didn't do the practical handling part? So you may not be actually ready to make your decision.
My conure and amazon both picked me. I went to get a particular sennie and came home with a turquoise green cheek that wouldn't take no for an answer. My amazon seems to go to everyone now that I think about it but I've had her since March and no bites so I think we are on the right track. :)

Good luck can't wait to hear how it goes.

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
Bonny-Shamrock Macaw, Pan-Quaker Parrot, Hermes-Cockatiel
Sounds like you need to spend some more time with different species to figure out what fits you, before you take one home.

Oh if this does not make you want a ringneck nothing will.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB52iP2a_MY"]parrot loves new bunny - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Dogs are all the same species, but different breeds. Parrots are different species, there are no breeds in parrots.

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
Bonny-Shamrock Macaw, Pan-Quaker Parrot, Hermes-Cockatiel
Dogs are all the same species, but different breeds. Parrots are different species, there are no breeds in parrots.

Not fully correct, but I changed it anyway as I was speaking of different species. I was just using "breed" as a colloquialism.

Despite the centrality of the idea of "breeds" to animal husbandry and agriculture, no single, scientifically accepted definition of the term exists.[1] A breed is therefore not an objective or biologically verifiable classification but is instead a term of art amongst groups of breeders who share a consensus around what qualities make some members of a given species members of a nameable subset

So a B&G could be considered a breed of Macaw. But then you run into the idea that it typically is in reference to a domesticated animal and parrots really don't fall into that category.

Last edited:
OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
Thank both of you because in MY mind I was thinking of it more like dog breeds for parrots.
It is a bit confusing. I knew there were different species that fell under the BIRD umbrella. I figured Parrot was one and then it broke down into different kinds... like breeds.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Not fully correct, but I changed it anyway as I was speaking of different species. I was just using "breed" as a colloquialism.

Despite the centrality of the idea of "breeds" to animal husbandry and agriculture, no single, scientifically accepted definition of the term exists.[1] A breed is therefore not an objective or biologically verifiable classification but is instead a term of art amongst groups of breeders who share a consensus around what qualities make some members of a given species members of a nameable subset
So a B&G could be considered a breed of Macaw. But then you run into the idea that it typically is in reference to a domesticated animal and parrots really don't fall into that category.

Hmm....I've learned differently. Then again, English isn't my mother's tongue.
https://studentswithbirds.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/breed-vs-species/

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
That is great! That really broke it down for the blonde!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The term "breed" isn't used with birds. You never hear it from long term breeders and rarely with experienced owners and certainly it's not appropriate in most cases when people are really referring to different species such as macaw vs Amazon vs conure etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts