Herps as Holiday Gifts: the 5 Best Species

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
While most herp enthusiasts would be thrilled with a live holiday gift, itā€™s important to think very carefully before you make a present of a reptile or amphibian. Difficult as it may be to believe, the recipient may not share your enthusiasm! Presenting a pet to someone who is unwilling or unable to provide proper care is unfair to both the person and the creature. This is especially true of childrenā€¦you must speak with their parents beforehand, and explain all that is involved in caring for your intended gift. With these cautions in mind, letā€™s look at some reptiles and amphibians that are well suited for mature children and adults new to herp-keeping. [FONT=&quot]R[/FONT]ead the rest of this article here The 5 Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay, I read the title wrong...

I'm thinking Herpes as a Christmas present. Yeah, that would be at the top of my Christmas list!

Hey, it happens. Some of those office parties can get out of hand that way...

Next thing you know...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Birdman lol, I thought that too upon first reading the title, but left it to you to say it :D

Frank, do you keep many pet animals besides that 45 year old Musk Turtle?

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Okay, I read the title wrong...

I'm thinking Herpes as a Christmas present. Yeah, that would be at the top of my Christmas list!

Hey, it happens. Some of those office parties can get out of hand that way...
R
Next thing you know...

LMAO!! That settles it...I am NOT going to my work Christmas party:eek:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think this is a well written article on one of my least favorite topics- live animals as gifts. I hope you don't take this offensively because you are very knowledgeable and have had an amazing career in herpetology, but I think there could be a few more things in similar articles topics in the future. Perhaps an addendum could be that offering a book on care for the child to read and a gift card in the amount to cover the animal and a "starter kit"... may be a better idea to allow the child to choose the individual animal themselves (as reptiles/amphibians DO have personalities and unique characteristics). It would also give the parents the opportunity to wait until the stress of the holidays are over before bringing a new animal home (so the focus will be on teaching the child how to care for it:) not visitors, cleaning up ect...). I would also have liked to see a realistic lifespan potential for all of them instead of just the 2. These animals can live a surprisingly long time with good care! Overall, one of the better written articles on this particular topic that I've seen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts