The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Choosing a live amphibian or a reptile as a holiday gift may be a nice gesture, but it is also fraught with potential problems. Please see The Five Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts for further cautions and ideas (The 5 Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts). General considerations aside, certain species are almost always a bad idea…even when the recipient has some experience. Unfortunately, many of these “bad choices” are promoted as being easy-to-care-for, and indeed all have some very desirable qualities. In the right hands, some can make great, long-lived pets – but, unfortunately, the “right hands” are often few and far between. [FONT=&quot]R[/FONT]ead the rest of this article here The 5 Worst Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts | That Reptile Blog [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
For me any reptile would be the worst gift ever. :)

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
I never advocate giving a live animal as a gift - if you intend to give a reptile - let's use a lizard as an example, a better way is to give a plastic lizard with a card attached that reads, "Redeemable for one real lizard after the holiday is over ..." and a book about the care of it.

I recommend the same thing for puppies and kittens - give a stuffed animal token, and a promise to go to the shelter at some later date, instead of a live animal that can be overwhelmed by the commotion of the holidays!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I would be so happy with a parrot as a gift! :D So I guess you need to know what that particular person likes and wants.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I would be so happy with a parrot as a gift! :D So I guess you need to know what that particular person likes and wants.

My mom loved hearing morning doves; as a boy, I saved up and got her a pair of ring-necks. They began calling before dawn, and went all day - they did not last long! best, Frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It is my *hope* that any animal being given as a *gift* is more someone paid for the recipients very much wanted, already picked out, well researched/prepared for animal kind of thing. Surprise animals are never a good call IMO, especially for children! I never got an animal as a gift per-se, but I came home with a goldfish from a school carnival once, and my mom was so mad at the school. I didn't understand WHY until I realized as an adult that she had to go out and buy a tank, gravel, decoration, plant, food, dechlorinator ext.... and hound me every weekend to clean the tank all for a 15cent fish the school decided to hand out to young children without consent of the parents. My goldfish lived for a long time, but I'm sure most from that carnival died quickly because most parents were unwilling to go buy a proper setup and/or make their child care for their 'new pet' properly. I could imagine a unexpected 'living' gift to a child from a family member or family friend would be just as aggravating to a parent. Sadly, with creatures like reptile that people seem to have the perception it is ok to neglect/let die, the majority of such animals entering such a scenario never had a fighting chance:mad:

I would be so LIVID to unwrap something alive! At least a gift card 'for a new pet' wouldn't come with the same level of obligation and you could either get a live animal or use it to get some cool new stuff for the ones you already have:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts