He's at it again.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Today Syd was calmly perched on my should and bit my ear, not hard but enough to make me jump. He jumped down onto my desk where I had been on my laptop and I looked him in the eye and told him in no uncertain terms that if he did it again he would go in his cage, He stood his ground, calmly looked back at me and said as clear as a bell 'Ok I'm sorry!'

This made me burst out laughing which he loves and as always he joined in. He drops his head right down as if he is doubled up and kind of chortles which only makes me laugh more. On my reaction he pops his head up again puffs out his little chest as far as he could and says 'Good boy baby!' Which set me off all over again. Picture the two of us giggling together. I'm living in a parallel universe. :love:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My lorikeet Lovejoy has been partaking of a little ear-biting lately too. No sign of an apology from him, however, and the bouncing and and chest-puffing that he follows it up with would suggest he is rather proud of his bitey efforts. Syd is far more civilized and well-mannered to have apologized to you, clearly he has far more respect for you than my little red-headed heathen has for me!!:eek:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh my goodness!! What a cutie! These little Conures know when and how to play their cards don’t they?

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I banned him from my shoulders for the best part of an hour but it's his favourite perch so it became increasingly difficult to avoid until I gave in. Bless him he snuggled into the back of my neck as if he'd been away for weeks and was silent and still as if to say 'ta mum - missed ya!' The bonus was that he hasn't bitten my ear again --- yet!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I banned him from my shoulders for the best part of an hour but it's his favourite perch so it became increasingly difficult to avoid until I gave in. Bless him he snuggled into the back of my neck as if he'd been away for weeks and was silent and still as if to say 'ta mum - missed ya!' The bonus was that he hasn't bitten my ear again --- yet!!
I don't know what it is about our ears- some birds just can't seem to resist taking a bite!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I don't know what it is about our ears- some birds just can't seem to resist taking a bite!
I think that sometimes it's to tell me that he needs a poop. He has strategic positions allowed for that with usually good aim although its not foolproof by any means. I realise that he will always poop before flight (I guess it lightens the load for lift-off! o_O ) and sometimes it involves putting him in a better position to take aim. The ear nibble is his communication in that situation, but either the need was suddenly urgent or he simply forgot himself. Either way it was definitely on the 'not allowed' list. Today he has been overly cuddly but I am mindful that beneath this angelic veneer lurks a small demon when the mood takes him! No ear bites today!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
They learn quickly! Hopefully he stops biting your ear from now on :ROFLMAO:

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Just as a side note - I bought Syd a backpack carrier way back in the Spring. It has sat in sight ever since with some treats in it and apart from occasional visits when he suddenly stretches to twice his size as he endeavours to keep his feet on the front zip while reaching the treats inside he has more or less ignored it.
Once in the Summer I popped him in zipped him up and carried him outside. He was frantic! So I quickly brought him in again. That set us back a couple of months until today. I put him in and was zipping him in when he escaped through what was left of the opening. Bad logistical mistake!
After a lot of coaxing and quite embarrassing sweet talk he agreed to be held and I popped him in again. This time I had my grand plan of maintaining his security while managing to get the zip closed. Success. I had decided to put the outside flaps down reducing his view I then went very gently taking him outside a bit at a time giving him a chance to look around and adjust but I could tell he was anxious. I persevered with added sweet talk and praise at how he was such a good boy and we made it to the back garden (yard). There I stayed. It took just over 30 minutes for him to start talking to me as I sat close. I gradually opened the covers just one at a time giving him a chance to get used to the new views and after about an hour of chatting to him he settled enough to drink and eat. I decided that was enough. So carefully but not this time covering him we returned slowly inside.

As I released him his first action once back on familiar ground was to once again puff his chest out and declare - 'Good boy Baby' obviously delighted with himself.
I had begun to think that we would never manage it but patience and understanding of his point of view proved the way forward. Congratulations Syd it looks as though your world is about to broaden.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Just as a side note - I bought Syd a backpack carrier way back in the Spring. It has sat in sight ever since with some treats in it and apart from occasional visits when he suddenly stretches to twice his size as he endeavours to keep his feet on the front zip while reaching the treats inside he has more or less ignored it.
Once in the Summer I popped him in zipped him up and carried him outside. He was frantic! So I quickly brought him in again. That set us back a couple of months until today. I put him in and was zipping him in when he escaped through what was left of the opening. Bad logistical mistake!
After a lot of coaxing and quite embarrassing sweet talk he agreed to be held and I popped him in again. This time I had my grand plan of maintaining his security while managing to get the zip closed. Success. I had decided to put the outside flaps down reducing his view I then went very gently taking him outside a bit at a time giving him a chance to look around and adjust but I could tell he was anxious. I persevered with added sweet talk and praise at how he was such a good boy and we made it to the back garden (yard). There I stayed. It took just over 30 minutes for him to start talking to me as I sat close. I gradually opened the covers just one at a time giving him a chance to get used to the new views and after about an hour of chatting to him he settled enough to drink and eat. I decided that was enough. So carefully but not this time covering him we returned slowly inside.

As I released him his first action once back on familiar ground was to once again puff his chest out and declare - 'Good boy Baby' obviously delighted with himself.
I had begun to think that we would never manage it but patience and understanding of his point of view proved the way forward. Congratulations Syd it looks as though your world is about to broaden.
I think I might have to get one too! I got harnesses but I doubt mine will ever wear them so a backpack could be the next best thing!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I think I might have to get one too! I got harnesses but I doubt mine will ever wear them so a backpack could be the next best thing!
Yes I tried a harness from when he was young but he hates it and panics. I still have it but as soon as it comes into view he simply attacks it. The backpack was a last ditch attempt to get him outside on a regular basis in something that was easy to handle. Although I have yet to hoist it onto my back.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I found with both my green cheeked conures... the part of my body they seem to gravitate to for biting is the thin flap of skin between the thumb and pointer finger... do they know it hurts .... I think they do

Most Reactions

Latest posts