He's talking.

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
So Poppet has been babbling away in a Quaker lingo for a week or two now and just the last few days he's been making the sounds of words. More the intonation but you could make out what he was trying to say. Then this morning my daughter walked into the room and he said a very clear 'hello.' We made such a fuss of him and he got all excited and carried on saying it on and off all day. Just a few minutes ago he said 'hello Poppet' like he'd been saying it for ages.

He's nearly 15 weeks and I've had him 4 weeks. So proud of my baby. :)

ZoeyFredrik

Aug 1, 2013
Parrots
Sammy- Quaker Parrot;
Josephine- IRN;
Fredrik, Phoebe, Skyler, & Alexander -Budgies- *Zoey* (Budgie) R.I.P <3
So cute! I remember when Sammy started talking. He was just about the same age as Poppet. Now that Poppet has started talking he will never stop! lol... Which in my opinion is a wonderful thing! You must be so proud of him! :D

-ZoeyFredrik

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Aww! Congratulations! I'm counting down the days to when *hopefully* Zulu will start talking. I got all excited a couple of weeks ago when I thought Zu was attempting to talk... only to realize it was beak grinding, not talking!

Thus a curious mind inquires: what exactly does it sound like when they're trying to talk? I keep seeing mention of Quaker babbling or muttering but have no earthly clue what that might sound like.

JJ

OP
Poppetsmum

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
Hi JenJen, It may well be different for every Quaker because my last Quaker mumbled very quietly but Poppet is much louder and seemed to go through every single sound from chirps and whistles to what sounded like a disgruntled argument with himself without any known words. Almost like his own language. Then he started with the intonation of my phrases and it progressed quickly from there. I even had a clear 'night night' out of him this evening so its true that when they start, they don't stop.

Poppets hatch day was the 14th May so not too far from Zulu's. I'm sure it won't be long. :)

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Congratulations to you and Poppet! :)

Ralph, being the quiet Quaker he is, talks softly-- a lot of the words he knows he will only say along with me when I say them. :D

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Thanks, Poppets! Love how quickly your little one seems to be progressing. Congrats again!

JJ

cheyrawr14

Sep 1, 2013
My baby quaker, tiki has clearly said good boy and thank you! He's also very clear with the kissy noise:) but he only speaks when I come home and take him out of his cage. I also get very excited when he speaks and he keeps babbling bit I can't understand most of what he is saying :p

Most Reactions