Hey everybody!

M_paq

Aug 2, 2015
Minnesota
Parrots
None at the time :(
Hello! My name is Mya. I've always loved birds, I have wanted one since the age of 8 or 9. At first I wanted a budgie, even though I did a ton of research (especially for being the age I was) I wasn't allowed to get one.

That was the first time I really got into birds. Ever since, I have loved all kinds of birds. My dream bird would be a green wing or calico macaw. :red1: I have never owned a bird, but I feel like I have done so so much research and learned so much about these birds, how to train them, prevent screaming, biting, general care, And all of the great stuff that comes with being owned by a big mac. That it would be okay to maybe gain a little bit of experience with handling them through pet sitting or volunteering at a shelter with some of the larger birds. Then after that getting one, without actually owning a bird. Is that completely crazy? :eek: Has anyone else done this? Also I was looking into rescuing a bird, would rescues not adopt a bird to me because of this? I have been researching them for over three years if that is helpful. Thanks already! And this forum is so awesome and helpful by the way!!

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hi welcome to the forum.If you have put in all that effort and research into a bird then I think it is a great idea to volunteer at a shelter and get some experience! Who knows you may find a bird who chooses you. Good luck on your journey.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I would recommend finding someone who owns a macaw (even if it's not the species you're looking for) and spending some time with the real thing :)

Owning/training a parrot will bring a lot of challenges you won't be able to learn through books or videos, but seeing how you go with one that's already trained might be a good start :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello Mya and welcome! I also think that volunteering at a rescue would be an awesome experience for you. You can interact with so many birds, and it may be easier to make a decision. Are you asking if the rescue may not adopt to you because you haven't had a bird before? I feel that if you volunteered there, they could judge your readiness to be a parront:)
Good luck on your journey!

OP
M

M_paq

Aug 2, 2015
Minnesota
Parrots
None at the time :(
Well this is good to hear! Glad my little plan isn't a bad idea. Now I just need to find a rescue that is close enough to volunteer at. I know of quite a few, but almost all of them are an hour or more away from me. If anybody knows of a parrot rescue in southern MN let me know! I think one of them uses fosters. Maybe fostering a bird would be a good idea. That way I can get to experience owning a bird without having negative consequences on the bird if I decide I don't want a bird in the long run.

Most Reactions