Hey guys, I'm a new member. I need help with switching to a pelleted diet.

JMO

Apr 2, 2012
Miami, Florida
Parrots
Cookie, TG, and Tino the Budgies and Bandit the Cinammon Green Cheek Conure
Hey guys I'm a new member!

I recently added to my family a baby cinnamon green cheek conure. I currently have the baby alongside three budgies.

I am here because I need help as I am attempting to once again turn their seed based diet into a pellet based diet.

Their feed consists of a mixture that is mainly seeds mixed with a few pellets and dried veggies. They love it, but of course the seeds only. I had a tragic loss this past December, my 25 year old cockatiel passed due to viral infection that affects the primary feathers but also slows down their system and makes them more susceptible to disease. So the actual disease is usually not what kills the bird, but rather an infection or any other illness that any pet bird might get throughout their lives. In my birds case though, I suspect that it was just old age; the poor little guy was older than me, and I am sure I gave him an excellent life filled with love and attention. :grey:

To continue on with my budgie story... the oldest one is actually 12-13 years old and I got him from a pet store in Chicago ( I now live in Miami). The second oldest must be around 10 years or so, my aunt gave it to me so I am not quite sure about this bird. The youngest one and the one who needs the most help is from a chain pet store which I am not going to mention the name of and she is about 4 years or so.

Here is the thing, after less than a year from the date in which I bought her, she developed a fatty tumor on her abdomen. I am sure that a pellet based diet will help tremendously, alongside exercise. My oldest budgie has always been on a mixed diet but always eats the seeds only, but for about 6 years, he flew a lot ever day. He had hours of flying daily so I imagine that this has kept him in shape and in good health. The girl is too heavy to fly and my other budgie never really learned how to fly. It is really weird, I can't really explain how the little guy flies, but no amount of flight over the years has helped.

So I'm here to ask you guys what the best way to change over to pellets is. If you guys feed pellets, which brand have you guys had the best luck with?
I have tried before but after not seeing my little guys eat I really got upset and I could not fathom the thought of them starving so I gave in. :greenyellow:

Thanks for you help guys!! I'm loving this forum.
This is my oldest budgie. His name is cookie and he is a champ. His flight is truly amazing. Very limber and accurate.
DSC_0067.jpg

This is TG, she is the one with the fatty tumor.
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I like to feed my budgies a mixed seed diet, and provide a seperate cup of Zupreem pellets. In the mix is some pellets, but all birds seem to like to eat pellets as a seperate food. And they all do eat pellets in addition to seeds. I also give them Nutriberries that I have broken up into their treat cup. Nutriberries are seeds & pellets & fruit & veggies, all in one. Budgies diets should be primarily seeds. They develop kidney problems when fed only pellets.

Most Reactions