hey guys im chris and i need help

holdenboy

Apr 1, 2013
I just brought a yellow ring neck his name latino hea 6weeks old and i put stuff
In his cage he freaks out and when i touch him he bitea hard and flys
Off how do i hand tame him plz i need help

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Hi Chris,

He is very young. I don't know when ring necks typically wean so I hope he is eating for you. It can be very stressful for any baby to move homes and they need time to adjust. If they are also worried about food, the stress is even greater.

How and what is he eating?

My advice is likely not what you want to hear since you are anxious to touch him, but I think you should leave him alone. Just service his cage and talk softly to him. Talk to him the entire time you are nearby. When you are talking it will be reassuring to him because instinctually he knows a predator will sneak up quietly.

My suggestion is to place at least one perch near the door so he can move there when he is ready to interact with you. He will see you open the door and know that is how to exit the cage. When he is ready to come out he will begin sitting on that perch by the door.

It may take him SEVERAL weeks to settle in. I hope you can be patient and gain his trust during this time. Reaching in trying to pet him will not hurry the process; instead it may set things back.

Meanwhile, are you sure he is getting enough to eat? The very most important thing for a healthy bird is that they are eating a sufficient amount of species appropriate foods.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to our wonderufl forum, congrats with your new addiction.
Your baby is so young and needs time to adjust.

Just imagine how many new things your bird has encountered, in the last few days. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years.
Each and every bird is so different.
He obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible
:grey:
[/FONT]

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
I'm pretty sure ringneck are still being fed then. All the ones I've hand fed were still getting feedings twice a day. If he isn't weaned, the added stress of not being hand fed suddenly is only going to severely compound the situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts