Hey!

JasperB225

Oct 25, 2017
So, i am not going to specify my age but ill tell you im under 18. I live in new zealand and currently dont have any birds, but have 1 cat and a dog and i really want to get a bird:rainbow1: but i dont have any experience. so i figured , Why not! ill make an account on a forum and ask some questions from more experienced people as all the guides on youtube arent very good so yeah thats it pretty much if you could give me some good beginner tips and maybe give me some suggestion on what sort of bird i should get. Thanks!
:D

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
IMO anyone under 18 shouldn't get a bird. Nothing on maturity or ability for the bird to enjoy the human but because of other factors. Chief among which is that stuff which I hear appears in people's wallets and bank accounts (though I don't see it that often myself)

what you quickly realize once you finish your education and enter the world is that money is worth a lot less than you originally thought and that whilst owing someone $100 is a lot, to actually have $100 is nothing. Combine this with a fluctuating at best job market and global economy right now work is hard to find and then you have to bend over backwards to keep the money coming in from that job. Meaning often with your entry level work you'll be working 13 hour days and still struggle to have food in the cupboards. Now try adding in the cost of going to a vet if your bird feels a bit unwell which due to how little an amount of vets are Avian certified makes it very pricey unless you get insurance which wouldn't be possible as you're under 18

Plus whilst you may have plenty of free time now once you hit college and further your social life will take hold eating up time at random. Perfect example, most of the time I don't go out all too much, maybe once or twice a month. So far this month I've spent every weekend night out with friends.

then finally you have to worry about rentals, finding a place which allows pets is harder and harder to do now, even over in my country where over 44% of the country own a pet.

Also don't forget your parents would have to be on board with the idea and really it would be there pet considering the costs involved and general upkeep. Don't forget too that you have a cat and a dog, two creatures purposely evolved for the sole act of eating prey species cats famously being known for catching birds.

In short, right now unfortunately no. In the future it's definitely possible and you'll be much more mature and aware of the world making caring for a bird easier

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Hello young man (assuming due to Jasper!) and can i congratulate you on your mature and responsible attitude :)

I had several budgie's when i was a school kid and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and them with me. They where the only household pets so they where in a safe environment and received lots of attention, mainly from me but the whole household engaged with them.
I currently have an African grey and I tell you now, its a whole different ball game demanding a massive level of commitment both in time and money in comparison to the budgies. Whereas budgies may live 10yrs (2 of mine did!) but very often a lot less, it is less of a LIFE commitment than a parrot who may actually out live you, even though you are younger than 18yrs old, think about that for a minute....

Id recommend bird ownership to anybody who is able and willing to give the commitment but as you are young and dont know whats in your life 2yrs down the line, id base the bird/birds you bring into your life accordingly. 1 or 2 budgies are fantastic little birds, but you need to keep them safe and away from your dog/cat and you cant just stick them in a corner, you have to interact, allow them to fly safely etc. You can train them and they will train you about bird ownership which is an experience you may carry for the rest of your life.

So, think long and hard about the commitment you can guarantee to your pets/companions, be honest with yourself, then chat here with your thoughts before commiting.

HTH

Andy

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
How about......you and your parents get a bird....the bird can be theirs, and you just play with it till it's time to move on, in the meantime they can still provide the home and entertainment.

Once you are settled in life, you can adopt the bird from them. I'd discuss this with them, and see how they feel about it. If your going to adopt a bird the birds well being has to come first. I pretty much agree with lordtriggs but this might work out to work for you and your parents....

I'd only feel bad for your parents, once you are on your own and take their new baby away to live with you it might be hard on them....People very much fall for our birds.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for wanting to learn before taking the plunge!
You'll receive many opinions, take the time to think each one through and make a decision that works for you and shows compassion to the prospective bird!

Here are a few threads that may help with your research and decision!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/8769-so-you-want-get-parrot-first-time.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/7244-parrot-me.html
What can happen: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/50427-no-time-my-bird-rehome-him.html

Good luck, let us know what you are thinking and what you decide!

Most Reactions