Hi everyone! Just need some help!

Roxy

Oct 7, 2013
South Australia
Hi, I get my little baby alexandrine in about 4 weeks! Very excited! But was just after some help, so long story short...I am a vet nurse and very keen to tame and spend time with my new bird, but there's a catch to me getting this bird well a bit of a misunderstanding...my husband said yes I can have the bird for my birthday no worries, I started looking at c ages and he was the impression that it would be outside! So what I'm planing on doing is having a aviary outside for it during the day when I'm not home or if it's a nice day, then bring it in when we are home and. Letting it sleep in the laundry' if I make the aviary fun and filled with different toys (rotating each week) do you see any problems with that??? Do you think the alexandrine will be ok with this if it's started quite young??? Please help.....the only other solution is to kick the husband out in the Aviary!!!:green2:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Kick the husband into the aviary!

When you keep birds in the aviary you have to be real careful! Critters can get in there that you don't want to have in there. They can catch parasites and diseases from wild birds outside so regular vet visit would be necessary for testing and such. And why bother having a bird just to have it in the outside aviary then sleep in laundry room at night?

OP
R

Roxy

Oct 7, 2013
South Australia
It won't be outside all the time, I work 3 days a week and I'm home for the rest, would be inside pretty much most of the time! Just during the day when I'm at work.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I don't know whether there's anything special about alexandrines that doesn't apply to other birds, but as long as she gets to interact with her people, I don't think she'll care where she is. I've had 2 budgies for ages, and they've always lived indoors. They moved out to the patio to go into a bigger cage with more "friends". I was worried that they wouldn't adapt to the change from what they've always known, but they adapted straight away and they seem to like having the others and the longer cage to fly up and down in. I think there's a problem with sticking a bird in a cage and leaving it there, but it would be on its own when you went to work regardless of where its cage is, so it would be relying on its food, treats or toys to amuse itself. It'll have its time with you so its "downtime" can be anywhere, IMO.

Just make sure that she's got proper shelter/shade, etc.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
There's others who does it! But just a word of caution, some diseases are transferable to humans so you must be real careful with it!

OP
R

Roxy

Oct 7, 2013
South Australia
Ok thank you, it have a aviary of budgies. So we were thinking of putting the newbie next to them in its own aviary of course. I will look into the parasites, I'm guessing there worming treatments and that you can add to there water to help keep these bugs away! Thank you for all your help, I'm hoping my husband will fall in love with the bird and let it stay inside! (Have to make sure I teach it to barrack for his favourite football team)

Most Reactions

Latest posts