Hi from australia

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Port Hedland West Australia
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
Hi all my name is Charlie I have a cockatiel who is about 10 months old I have bought the training package's off Chet and so far he can do the target stuff wave turn around, wave on queue and im in the process of getting him to let me pat him on the back, he's9 a great little fella.

I also got given a galah 5 days ago from an owner who doesn't have the time to look after her she was a rescue bird who has been through a few owners and she can say hello and step up but she is a bit bittey....

I started training her today and she got the target stuff in about 3 ten minute sessions and then got the turn around in about 5 minutes but she gets aggravated quick and would rather bite my fingers then take the reward after about 5 minutes..... early days yet :)

I look forward to reading stuff on the forum and getting so advice form guys that know a lot more than me .

Thanx all Charlie

WesselG

Jan 10, 2014
South Africa
Parrots
6 Indian Ringnecks
hi Charlie

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the galah just needs a little more time to settle down.

Wessel

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Welcome to the forum, Charlie! Sounds like you've bonded really well with your cockatiel. I've always felt that a well-bonded cockatiel is one of the most lovable pets you could ever have.

And congrats on your new galah! She sounds really smart to be picking stuff up so quickly. My advice would be to take a very relaxed pace with the training since he's still in bite-mode, and concentrate even more on building the bond between you. After that, the bonding sessions would probably last longer and go more smoothly.

Any pics of your fids?

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Hi, sounds like you're doing pretty well with the training :)
Pity about the biting, galah bites are bad, much more than macaws!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Welcome, Chucka. Such an Oz kinda name :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi Charlie and welcome! I would love to see pictures of your birds!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
G'day Chucka! Nice to see another Aussie here, especially one with a Galah. :)

When you work with your bird, always move slowly and speak quietly. Try to watch and anticipate if she's going to bite or lunge at you and avoid doing what prompts her to do that. Once she gets into the habit of not biting, she'll be fine. Just give her a bit of time to settle in (a week or two). My Galah is still very skittish when there's a sudden noise and I've had him for a good while now, so don't expect change overnight. Just be patient and keep interacting: Galahs make wonderful companions, even when they've had setbacks in life. Hope to see you posting a lot here. :)

PS. Where do you live? I'm in Newcastle, NSW.

Most Reactions