Hi from central Ohio

grimm

Mar 3, 2015
20150220_162937.jpg
Hi everyone, this is Ryder. He's (?) been a member of our family for two weeks now.

We're new to parroting and looking forward to Lee learning from all of you.

Ryder is a very intelligent bird who's pretty cage territorial. He's learning step up onto a perch and has learned a few new whistling tunes the last couple weeks.

I was told he is an Amazon but from what I've read his tail says otherwise. Anybody know for sure from the photo?

Ryder seems to have an intense hatred of my hands and I fear he may be a vampire. He's got a penchant for blood.

We're slowly working through that with a few tips I've read online.

Aside from step up, we're starting clicker training.

From what I can gather Ryder is over four years old and spent much of that in his cage, he's been enjoying having his door open daily and he and my mastiff are becoming fast friends.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Welcome to you and Ryder. From his pic I'm not sure he's an Amazon but I'm not an expert. However he's a gorgeous parrot for sure. I recently brought home an Eclectus parrot and she's cage territorial. She does come out and we are having an easy time when she's out of her cage and no food around. Is your baby stick trained, meaning you can hold a stick like a dowel stick to her and she will step on the stick?

OP
G

grimm

Mar 3, 2015
Were working on that training now. He jumps onto the stick and unless I watch him closely he runs across the stick and bites my hand as hard as he can. If I catch him before he bites I can unbalance him a bit and he stops but I've got to be ever vigilant. From my readings he may be "feeling his oats"

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Oh yes, he's testing his boundaries with you for sure.

OP
G

grimm

Mar 3, 2015
20150303_181850.jpg

As you can see, Ryder and I haven't quite come to the point of understanding that I would like. He on the other hand seems quite content with his diet. I'm looking into casting calls for the new season of The Walking Dead. Ryder would play a convincing zombie.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
LOL, but not lol, I recently read on an update from Birdman 666, to use two fingers to push a beak back when they re trying to bite. This has worked ssssoooo well with my new Ekkie. I say "no, no bite" while I take my pointer finger and thumb, place them on each side of her upper beak and push her away from her target (ME!!!!!). She has been improving. I think taking the opportunity away in a calm voice confuses them in a positive way.

OP
G

grimm

Mar 3, 2015
Perhaps down the road I can try that but he strikes like a rattle snake. Fast and unpredictable. Right now I think it would be sacrificing one limb for the other lol

Wvbirdlover

Jul 18, 2014
Hi!!
Ryder is very handsome!! I'm no expert on the Amazon thing, but whatever he may be, he's gorgeous!! :) I've had some of the same issues with hands and my Quaker, but with lots of patience and time, it is working its way down to just a few nips here and there. ( I really try my best not to react when he does it, but geesh)

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
What a mystery! About how long/heavy is he?

He looks like he has the face of a Conure, but a body coloring more in line with a Lory/Lorikeet. Could be a hybrid.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Welcome! Rider is beautiful! I am sure with time and lots of patience he will come around! Jerseywendy figured out what he is! I have never seen that type of parrot. He is gorgeous!

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
You senior members are amazing with all your knowledge, way to go Jersey Wendy! He is a beautiful bird with great coloring!

Most Reactions

Latest posts