Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I'll be here in Asia for 2 weeks and while I am able to post to this Board, its small consolation that I can, but not be with my Salty boy. I miss him ALREADY.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Have fun anyway...so many good things to eat in HK, there are. The giant escalator sidewalk! The color changing lights on the buildings! The Jumbo! The night market pop-up markets and restaurants with fried crabs! Maybe you will post some pictures, yes? I’m curious how much things have changed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Enjoy your time away, Al. Two weeks is fairly short, and separation truly makes the heart grow fonder!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oooh I want to go back to Hong Kong! I was so exhausted by the time we got there, and the weather was crappy, so I barely remember anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Finally got to Skype with the family this AM, and All is well with them. Salty even said hello and called Daddy to the screen. He's been pretty well behaved so far, even running through his trick training sessions with Geri every night, refusing some tricks but doing most of them, which is great because it means he is trusting her a lot more then in past trips. Tomorrow is Sat, so that day is devoted to visiting different music stores, and violin making workshops - I can spend a good 3 hours in a workshop, easy. THen Sunday it's off to the bird market to hang with the sellers, breeders and owners , get bitten a few times ( I learned from last time - always bring a few bandaids) and schritch a few friendly ones. Weather has been great, not too hot, not cold, and pretty dry for HK - hey the sky is even blue. CHina's air improvement program must be paying off. Going to dinner tonight with the new Director of Operations. We hit it off pretty well, and I just found out he's a guitar player too, so who knows , we may wind up at some of the same shops tomorrow.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Sounds like your having a great time. I never knew you are a guitar player Al, what do you play? X

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So a report from HK. Sat I spent going to music stores, trying out guitars and fiddles ( I played a $15,000 USD one for an hour - the salesman was sure I was taking it - NOT!) But I did buy a new fiddle case, cool one covered in real cowhide with the hair still on it. ANd today, Sunday I spent at the HK bird market. All kinds of song birds, and lots of parrots. A few Hahn's macaws, lots of yellow napes, double yellow heads ( who did not bite me this year ) and even a guy with a yellow shoulder amazon, just like Salty. Of course I did get bitten by some guys yellow front 'zon, but I bring band aids now when I go there.
I had my tablet with me, and I was showing 2 guys some of Salty's videos, next thing I know, we have 2 dozen people standing round and watching Salty do his stuff. Met a nice Indian chap, named Raz, who found a sun conure, and was asking questions about taking care of him. I gave him this boards web address, so do not be surprised if he shows up. I made friends with the cutest baby Hanhs Macaw, who was crying until I started giving him a good scratching. Most owners showing off birds had amazons, no macaws and a few 'toos. One free flying Grey and I had a face to face stare off, but no way was I going to chance it with him. All these guys were just floored by Saltys videos, so I showed them how we got started - no one spoke English but I think they got the message. Sadly, leg chains are still the most common way people have their parrots restrained, but they showed interest when I showed them Salty in his Aviator harness. Oh and lots of Lorikeets, man are they pretty! Tomorrow - Monday, off to mainland China's industrial areas ( ugh!) but hey only 4 more days and then HOME!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh and Carl, I play mostly fiddle but I have a Fender American Deluxe I love to wail on.

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ♀
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Only a few more days till you're reunited with dear Salty?? Your trip seems to have whizzed by!
P.s. I am also a fan of Salty's videos LOL.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Oh i love Fender deluxe, always beautifuly coloured. I have a Fender blacktop strat and a Fender roadhouse strat. Never tried the fiddle 😀

Have a great time Al x

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yeah, e are a Fender house - my son Erik has 2 Precision electric basses, and I have the matching teal colored American Deluxe Jazz bass, and all our amps are fender as well............my favorite amp is a Fender Twin Reverb, an old tube driven one, that is becoming more and more difficult to get repaired when something goes on it. I actually have 3 of them, one to play out at gigs, and the other 2 I canabalize for parts, since EVERYTHING from Fender is on backorder. Between those and all the guitars, fiddles, saxaphones and sundry other instruments, our music room looks like a music store. Do you play out with a band? My 2 sons and I play pirate music ( stuff from 1710 and beyond, with a good measure of original tunes thrown in). A very niche market, but we have fun. You can go to our website http://therigands.com or search Youtube for The Brigands and we have a few dozen videos folks have taken of the band.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Aww wow, Fender amps are amazing. I have a couple. The Brigands are awsome, just watched your videos, looks great fun and you guys are so funny. How many instruments do you play lol.

Played in some bands in the past and would love to again for sure. I want to record some songs i have at some point :) x

Most Reactions

Latest posts