Hi! I have questions

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
So a quaker was found outside in my neighborhood - checked by vet, in good health, got wings clipped, no leg band or microchip, they put out ads, got in touch with a million rescues, orgs etc - no one claimed him... They couldn't keep him, and my family has always wanted a bird, so we took him.
I got a book on Quaker parrots, and watched some youtube videos, but I have a few questions still:
Foremost: Are there behaviors or physical signs etc that can indicate age or history?

Mine picks up words and sounds really fast, loves to have 'conversations' - I sit and talk to him (the closer to his face the better, he's happiest if I'm about 3 inches from his face) in a low tone, he mimics the talking sound in a muttery sort of thing, and will hold a 'conversation' with me forever if I can keep it up. He whistles a little tune we didn't teach him, and makes sounds that sound a little like 'pretty bird or pretty boy' but not very clear, unlike the things he says when he copies us.
He likes to be petted on his head and back of his neck and is happy to take food from our hands, but doesn't want hands near him in any other way. (No step-ups)
He's very calm. He'll yell if someone is with him and then leaves, but then stops after a minute, or if one of us tells him, 'It's OK, she'll be right back'
I'll be sitting there, reading, and look up and see him just sitting there, on his perch next to me, staring at me. LOL! I'll ask him a question, and he'll start the muttery-thing and I'll talk to him a while...

Is there anything in particular I can do to enrich his environment?
He likes to play with my watch band (as in attempt to destroy it) so my kid found an old watch band, and attached it to his perch, which he is happy about. But he's not interested in any of the fancy toys I got him, lol. His favorite thing is to just sit quietly on a perch next to one of us, having a conversation. I read that quakers are super hyper, but he's just this calm quiet little guy. (Unless one of his toys starts swinging, and then he freaks, lol)

I appreciate any comments or suggestions!!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
How long have you had him? IF it's been a fairly short time, it's normal for birds to be less-active in a new environment.

And, what have you named him?

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
fiddlejen:
It's been about a month. He was very reserved when he first came home with us, but now occasionally fly/flops down from the top of his cage, runs back to his cage, and works to find a way to climb back up. He'll use our legs as elevators, but not our arms.
He talks more every day, and seems more outgoing every day, so maybe he's still just trying to get settled in.

His name is Puddleglum, after the Marsh Wiggle in the Narnia book. He's green and grey, and makes this croaking sound, like a frog, lol. Very cute.

Laurasea: That's an awesome-looking toy. He likes to rip up paper and things, so I'll try to do something similar. What is an appropriate-sized toy? Do they like things to destroy that are bigger than them, same size, the size of their hand, or ??

Thank you!

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Also - he doesn't mind us putting our hands in the cage at ALL - we change his food & water, move his toys around, etc and he's whistling at us, or just watching, not worried at all. How in heck would we change his food/water, clean his toys/perches etc if we couldn't put our hands in the cage??
Also, we're doing the touch-clicker-training thing, and he follows the stick really well, when he wants to. In other words, no where near our hands or arms, but anywhere else, lol!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You just lit them out to top of cage to do csg chores. Hopefully you will get all worked out during the honeymooning period.

They are happy to destroy anything s y size! But they like stuff that they hsv an immediate impact on. They don't want a hard wood block that takes a year to chew up. Granted having I e of that type around is great, but mostly stuff they can year up in a day.

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Tell me more about this 'honeymooning period'
..... *she says worriedly* .......

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
My understanding of the 'Honeymoon period' is about the first month or so, depending on the age and history of your bird. Generally, for that first month the bird is a little scared and uncertain of their new flock and environment. As a result, they are more reserved and quiet. They are also less likely to want a lot of direct contact. People call it a Honeymoon period because the Fid seems so calm and sweet. On the other hand, the cause being his fear and uncertainty seems to me like it's more of a 'first date' period where they don't yet know if they like or trust you. So as that first month ends, your fid may become more outgoing, more brave, more demanding, more playful, louder, and more likely to accept and seek direct contact. To some it seems like the bird is more 'difficult' but in MY opinion, this is the good stuff. :) This is your fid saying "Ok, you're cool, I feel safe enough to goof around and explore, and I like you enough to want your attention so please stop paying attention to anything but me!" :)

That's my experience anyway... it's easy to look at some behaviors (like making noise and getting into trouble or demanding lots of attention) as annoying, but remember to enjoy these as the trust and affection that it truly demonstrates. :)

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Got it. He seems, based on my parenting/childcare experience, very much like a 2 or 3 yr old child. And this would fit in. I'll be glad when he feels safe enough to be naughty! As long as he's not too bitey, lol. He's very polite w his beak for now, anyway, and we give him no reason to bite.
Thank you!!!

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
New question: DO all quakers like music? Ours isn't super fond of recorded music, but he really really loves to be sung to. He bobs his head, and sticks his neck out, and bobs his head, and whispers along, opening his beak like he's singing along with what I'm singing, etc - but he only likes it if I'm looking at him while I sing. So if I'm singing to myself while I clean up, he yells at me. If I sit next to him and sing TO him, he loves it. Then he'll start preening while I'm singing, and periodically whip his head around to see if I'm still looking at him, haah! He's a real funny little guy!!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I think All birds like music. Sounds like yours has good taste! :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so glad you are smitten with your new freind!
Mine like nursery songs and twinkle twinkle Little Star is definitely a favorite. They like to watch the cartoons that go with the songs,

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
I think All birds like music. Sounds like yours has good taste! :)
Hahah, my singing voice leaves a lot to be desired, sadly, but he likes it! LOL!

I'm so glad you are smitten with your new freind!
Mine like nursery songs and twinkle twinkle Little Star is definitely a favorite. They like to watch the cartoons that go with the songs,
He doesn't like TV or anything like that - gets really upset when the tv comes on. He does like audiobooks though, as long as they're in a female voice. I put one on to keep him company if we're going to be out for several hours during the day.
How could anyone not be smitten with the little darlings? We put his cage by the window today, next to my chair, and the curtain had a tiny gap in it. He went to the top of his cage, poked his head into the gap, looked around for a minute, then closed the curtain and climbed down the cage to his perch. Such a clever little guy, I can't believe it sometimes!

Most Reactions