Hi! New parront, trying to parrot-proof my home (and LIFE)

Taianonni

Dec 28, 2016
EDIT(quick intro): My name is Taianonni (Tai for short) or Josh, I'm 29, and was a biology major for my brief setting in college. I did seven years of active duty in the Army, I've been doing three years in the reserves and going forth with my own career beyond my military service. I'm a big animal person, and have wanted a bird for as long as I can remember, although, tbh I was never truly ready for that commitment. Especially with possible deployments and so much time not spent at home.

I'm excited that I'm going to become a new pet parront very soon, a bit of a life-long dream. I've done a lot of research into the more common species, which I had narrowed to about 3 which seemed to fit with their usual characteristics (I know, they all vary by individual, but it seemed like a good cornerstone). By a stroke of fate, a local man is selling his cage, with attached 2 yo male eclectus parrot (the species at the top of my list!) and I should be bringing home my newest family member within the week. I want to make sure all the necessary precautions I can, to ensure the safety of him and that he leads a long and healthy life under our roof.

Currently in my household I have one feline (neutered male, ~7yrs old), one Koi (presumed male, 5 years), and a canine (intact female chihuahua pomeranian mix, 2 years). Two humans full time: myself (male, 29) and my girlfriend (female, 31), as well as two young males (ages 7 & 9) whom are over on the weekend. The cat is very relaxed and honestly I believe him to be less of a worry than the dog... the dog is well trained (taught her left from right and over a dozen other tricks), but can be mildly jealous (not aggressively but shows it with staring and stirring) and has high energy with a tendency towards erratic at times. The elder son has mild to moderate symptoms of autism but is very good with most animals, the younger is more high strung, but respectful. Any advice for a smooth transition to our new addition is greatly appreciated.

I also want to know more about household dangers. I plan to get new, copper cookware, remove air fresheners, and no longer light scented candles... but what else should I be aware of? I have floor lamps that have an open, upward facing bulb, should I change these out? Can I use the scented candles, but instead of lighting them, only open them to release their scent, or is that a danger too? Cables and wires are also a worry. Anything else within my kitchen I need to be aware of? I have two leather sofas, the 3 seater is fixed, but the end seats recline, the other has a center console and both glides and reclines, so I worry about him going under and possibly getting injured... Also, what of make-up, cosmetics and skincare products? My girlfriend works at sephora and has a lot of those products, and although she usually sticks with all natural skincare and make-up but I'd want to know about that as well. Also, what about hair product and/or beard oil? I occasionally use beard oil to condition my beard, but it is scented and I'd hate to put him at risk. Basically any usual household items as well as anything we might consider unusual, I want to be considered and let know what I need to be vigilant about or eliminate from the home completely.

I also recently made the switch from normal cigarettes to a vaporizer. Should this pose any risk to him as well? It's no issue to go outside (it's what I did when I was smoking cigs), I just want to verify to be more aware of myself to be hyper vigilant if necessary.

TL;DR - Just need any advice for a safe home of a new parront. I have done research, but always hearing more is great to help out a newbie. Again, any and all feedback and advise is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello!
Welcome!
I'm sure you've already gotten some earfulls from parrot-care sites.
I'll only add this. I recommend creative paranoia. Imagine any bizarre behavioral environmental, situational, social hazard and plan to avoid it! Parrots are the most curious, mischievous, bizarre (but fabulous) companions ever.
You've found a wonderful, caring, sociable, active place here.
I'm looking forward to following your journey!

P.S.
Annnnnnnnd... use the SEARCH tab... there are already many helpful threads on the topics you mention!! I SEARCH all the time!

OP
T

Taianonni

Dec 28, 2016
Most definitely! I'm glad there are such great sites like this and so many others!

I already feel like I have that paranoia and my new feathered family member isn't even here yet! lol

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Vaporizer is possibly a risk to him. Better to be safe then sorry
Keep him away from any other pets. Not matter how friendly the animal is, or how much you trust that animal.
Hide all cords, birds like to chew things.
You might want to make sure he can't get to anything that is small enough that will fit in his beak.
The scent from the candles is a risk, even when not lighted.
I haven't had any problems with my birds and my reclining sofa, so I'm not sure about that.
As for make-up and that stuff, I think as long as it isn't scented it should be fine.
I think that's all I can cover.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OP
T

Taianonni

Dec 28, 2016
Vaporizer is possibly a risk to him. Better to be safe then sorry
Keep him away from any other pets. Not matter how friendly the animal is, or how much you trust that animal.
Hide all cords, birds like to chew things.
You might want to make sure he can't get to anything that is small enough that will fit in his beak.
The scent from the candles is a risk, even when not lighted.
I haven't had any problems with my birds and my reclining sofa, so I'm not sure about that.
As for make-up and that stuff, I think as long as it isn't scented it should be fine.
I think that's all I can cover.

Also, welcome to the forums.

No problem at all, I had figured as much with the e-cig, but thanks for confirming it with me.

I worry that if I force distance, that if/when he does come to the ground, out of curiosity more than anything, the dog will run at him to check him out and stress or hurt either one more than necessary because it's a less controlled environment.

The cables may be tough. Are there any suggestions for wrap or protection at and around my computer/enterainment stand/TVs & other electronics?

Good to know with the scented candles. Is there anything that CAN be used to freshen the house without fear of harm?

I appreciate your answers, each little thing gets me more prepared for his arrival to a safe environment.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome!! Where is home?
Your new baby is, overall, an awesome companion! Yes, specialized diet, but stick to it and you both will do well!

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
cables, there are cord covers for rabbits that should work for birds.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi josh. You may not like my response but here it is.

Dog/cats and parrots are not a good mix. They can, after many years of total indifference , and for no good reason -snap, and their inner predator comes out. Did you know that chiwowa is the most closely related to the wolf, out of all domestic breeds. So hard fact #1 ) Keep them separated, Go thru the Bereavement folder and read some accounts of parrots being killed by family cat or dogs.

Hard fact #2) If you can smell it, it is likely not good for your bird. Will one scented candle kill him? Likely no, but the buildup from frequent use might. Geri has thrown out , or given away more Yankee candles that I can shake a stick at. If you cant smell it in the jungle, you shouldn;t smell it in your home.

OP
T

Taianonni

Dec 28, 2016
Hi josh. You may not like my response but here it is.

Dog/cats and parrots are not a good mix. They can, after many years of total indifference , and for no good reason -snap, and their inner predator comes out. Did you know that chiwowa is the most closely related to the wolf, out of all domestic breeds. So hard fact #1 ) Keep them separated, Go thru the Bereavement folder and read some accounts of parrots being killed by family cat or dogs.

Hard fact #2) If you can smell it, it is likely not good for your bird. Will one scented candle kill him? Likely no, but the buildup from frequent use might. Geri has thrown out , or given away more Yankee candles that I can shake a stick at. If you cant smell it in the jungle, you shouldn;t smell it in your home.
I'm not sure how to approach it then... How do you keep yours and your Cairn Terrier separate but content?

I'll keep in mind about the candles, I just prefer a well scented home... Personally the more natural, the better. Maybe the diffuser like what parrotlover2001 stated... just trying to figure it out a good balance for it all. I mean, not everyone's house smells because of being a parront, right? Right???

EDIT: Also Flboy, I live in upstate NY.

Last edited:

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you for your service Tai. Good news is a small dog should be easy to gate off from your bird. A gate you can step over but your dog can't would be convenient. I'm also a new parront and loving it. Some essential oils are bad for bird also so be really careful with those too. Tea tree oil is really bad. They didn't use canaries in coal mines for nothing. I heard they use them in the new alien movie a lot also, thought that was cool. Testing the air. Take it real slow with your bird and the kids don't want to have em get nipped and forever hate birds. I notice my TAG is much more easily handled at certain times of the day. In the morning she's all business waiting for breakfast, will nip my ear if she feels i'm not putting in enough effort. At night she loves to be scratched and pet. I would give em both plenty of time to get used to the surroundings and people. I've only been able to get two people to hold Timneh in the almost two months I've had her. Socialization will help. Don't take anything the wrong way on here either everyone here just wants to help and actually cares about birds and people. The only place I can post a selfie of me and my bird and not feel creepy weird. LOL Good luck your going to be having a lot of fun. Also forgot to tell ya if you go into a parronts house and you can smell the bird recommend they take their bird to the vet and clean their house. LOL

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Josh, thanks for joining. What an awesome introduction, you are going to be a superb parront to your male Ekkie!

So much great advice already, but I'd first like to expand on safety with the dog. Despite apparent acceptance, a dog can turn against the bird in a millisecond. While many co-exist peacefully, you never know for sure, thus it is critical to have a working solution that becomes second nature. The KISS* method is best, and it must be repeatable and durable. Sort of like SOP** that must be followed as if second nature. Not going to be easy with kids!

A few random helpful links:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/449-toxic-list-our-birds.html (link in first post is invalid)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/8769-so-you-want-get-parrot-first-time.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general...species-precautions-emergency-procedures.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/52737-so-you-think-you-want-eclectus.html

For those who do not know:
*KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid (not implying anyone is stupid!!)
**Standard Operating Procedure

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi and welcome, some awesome advice already.

Fresh air works a treat for freshening your rooms, gets rid of any pet odours and gives it a blast of clean fresh air. It is more likely that any odours come from the cat and dog rather than the parrot although some have stated that an Ekkie can have a slightly fruity odour. I wouldn't mind that. Please do not use anything to scent your room, parrots use a much higher percentage of their lungs so any damage would be so much more severe. Re beard oil if your bird decides in time it likes it and tries to lick it then that would be the time to change things.

You may wish to invest in a washable cover for your sofas, I have found that poop stains and beaks mark.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

I'll keep in mind about the candles, I just prefer a well scented home... Personally the more natural, the better. Maybe the diffuser like what parrotlover2001 stated... just trying to figure it out a good balance for it all. I mean, not everyone's house smells because of being a parront, right? Right???

I have a very strong sense of smell/taste. So for me, scented nothing! What others call 'as fresh as the outdoors', well, if you live next to the lower Hudson, maybe!
Nix, nadda, forget the diffuser!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Hail fellow, well met!

Since you asked ... The biggest risk from the dog is that it may startle the bird and cause it to attempt to fly, which could put it into a dangerous position. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised.

Upward facing lights - if these are halogens it's definitely a risk. They get extremely hot and would burn a birdie who landed on one if spooked by a dog, say, and if knocked over in the process could start a fire.

Copper cookware is nice, but comes with either a tin or stainless lining. Tin scratches easily, can melt off if the pan is accidentally overheated, can leach into acidic foods and the pans need to be re-tinned when worn or copper will leach out = toxic. Stainless lining is durable and has no restrictions, but doesn't conduct heat well. A stainless lined copper pan beats a poor quality stainless pan, but a good qualit copper/aluminum core stainless is just as good. I have some of those, and the heating is stellar - even and responsive. I also have some tin lined copper which I use for delicate sauces and the like, but I tire of polishing it so in practice I don't use it much at all.

Eclectus are beautiful. The ones I have met were insanely chewy on wood and drywall, one excavated a nest in the base of a wall, and have very different dietary needs than other parrots. The biggest problem I have with parrot proofing is that the birds climb down from the cage and go walkabout, where they can be stepped on, eaten, chew dangerous things, etc. ...I can't figure any way to keep our macaw on his cage so I'm drawing up a play stand to make from PVC pipe.

Since you sound like a foodie, be careful in the kitchen with the bird. They can fly and land on hot stoves or in boiling water, land on pot handles and tip them over, grab knives, eat improper things like chocolate chips. Think of flying toddlers. Speaking of which. One of the best things to teach the boys is "the breath of power". The calmer the person, the calmer the bird. If the boys will stop before interacting with the bird, step back. Close their eyes and take three slow deep breaths (or whatever number is right for them), become aware of a sense of power, calm, and heaviness in their lower bellies, let their bodies be filled with this calm, the bird will respond by relaxing and becoming calmer itself. The bird is a good "energy mirror" - if someone is stressed or angry or anxious, the bird will show it. If the people slow down and become calm inside, the bird will show it.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
If the bird flies the dog will need to be behind a closed door.

Slightly off topic. I once had a rabbit go after my cockatiel. Didnt expect that. I was right there and was able to prevent injury.

Reni

Sep 9, 2016
Media
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Two cockatiels and a Green Cheek Conure.
Hi Tai, welcome aboard.
I have two cockatiels, one Green Cheek Conure and I also used to have three dogs: a Great Pyrenees (who recently passed away due to a heart attack), a collie cross and an Italian Greyhound. I trained all my dogs to look away when a bird would land on the floor. Since Italian Greyhounds belong to the Greyhound family, she needed extra work not to chase a bird, but now, the cockatiels can land on her basket and she immediately looks away for which I praise her. Of course, my birds are NEVER out without any supervision as I don't take things for granted. The cockatiels loved to sit on top of the Pyrenees and preen his hair. I used to own a male Eclectus several years ago, and again, the dogs knew to look and move away when the Eclectus was on the floor.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi Tai, welcome aboard.
I have two cockatiels, one Green Cheek Conure and I also used to have three dogs: a Great Pyrenees (who recently passed away due to a heart attack), a collie cross and an Italian Greyhound. I trained all my dogs to look away when a bird would land on the floor. Since Italian Greyhounds belong to the Greyhound family, she needed extra work not to chase a bird, but now, the cockatiels can land on her basket and she immediately looks away for which I praise her. Of course, my birds are NEVER out without any supervision as I don't take things for granted. The cockatiels loved to sit on top of the Pyrenees and preen his hair. I used to own a male Eclectus several years ago, and again, the dogs knew to look and move away when the Eclectus was on the floor.

Ah, a fellow former Great Pyrenees owner. Sorry for your loss, they are magnificent dogs. Very independent yet fiercely protective of their family. Never showed suspicious behavior toward my birds. I've had great success with many Great Danes, a Schnauzer, German Shepherd, and Brussels Griffon. Still can never let the guard down, but with some breeds you can just see the temptation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts