Bird-less in Toronto

OMG

Dec 28, 2016
Toronto, ON, Canada
Parrots
The only pets I have at the moment have fur, not feathers.
Hi! I'm Becca. And I love cockatoos.

I've always been enamoured of birds, but wasn't as passionate about adopting one as I am now, until I met the handsome boy in my profile picture.

I had a friend who had a cockatoo named Paco. Paco and I took to each other right away, maybe in part because he plucks and I have Trichotillomania (the "human version" of plucking). Paco had been abused in his former home, and I'm a survivor of abuse. So I guess we had an understanding. Paco was really cuddly and chatty with me, and I got him to stop plucking after multiple visits.

So now, months (and many, many Google searches about cockatoos) later, I've decided that I definitely want to adopt my own cockatoo, but I want to be as prepared as possible before I jump in. I know, from lurking here and watching YouTube videos and from talking to current cockatoo parents, that having a parrot (especially a cockatoo) is hard work and can be very expensive. I'm planning on doing more research, volunteering if possible, and saving money for toys, a cage and an emergency vet fund.

I'm looking forward to learning from you. Thank you for reading my essay, and for any advice you might have. :yellow1:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi Becca and welcome!
I think it's fantastic you are doing your research, the worst thing is to be surprised after bringing a bird home, especially a too.
It sounds like you are on the right track to add a perpetual toddler to your family:)
Volunteering would be a great thing, that way you can be really prepared for having a parrot:)
I am so happy you joined us!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! A 'Too' can be a challenging companion, but first impression? You are a challenging/fun lady!
So looking forward to more!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and a warm welcome to the forums, Becca! Sounds like you've already been infected with Too fever. You're in good company. There's only one cure, adopt a Too, but be warned, they'll never let go of your heart. Best of luck with your new adventure, looking forward to sharing the journey!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just North of you, out by the Airport, there is the Bramdton Mall and on the lower level is a Pet Store that has a nice collection bird stuff. And, although it sounds like you have found your soulmate, they have well socialized Parrots that I have always been impressed with, and I'm not easily impressed. Point being, if they care that much for the quality of their Parrots, everything else commonly follows!

The Too people here really know their Too's, so you have clearly found a place over the top in Too's and Too knowledge!

Welcome and have Too, much fun!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Becca, you have found a forum filled with cockatoo aficionados! So many of us dearly love them and will be eager to share experiences. Your discovery process seems thorough, but take your time and learn all you can. When you get to the point of actively searching, consider the bird often chooses the human!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hey welcome, lovely to read your 'essay'.

It certainly sounds like your were chosen by your friends 'too, Paco. You did great things with him by the sounds of it. As Scott has said definitely let them choose you!
Welcome again and looking forward to hearing more in time.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just North of you, out by the Airport, there is the Bramdton Mall and on the lower level is a Pet Store that has a nice collection bird stuff. And, although it sounds like you have found your soulmate, they have well socialized Parrots that I have always been impressed with, and I'm not easily impressed. Point being, if they care that much for the quality of their Parrots, everything else commonly follows!

The Too people here really know their Too's, so you have clearly found a place over the top in Too's and Too knowledge!

Welcome and have Too, much fun!

Oh there is just too much scope here, ha, ha, ha, :) I'll be good! ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts