Hi There!!

DisQo

Aug 12, 2013
Hi Guys and Girls,

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and say hello.

I am from Adelaide, and have at this moment a pair of budgies and one galah.

Not much to some people, but to me they are wonderful to have around the house.

The Galah in particular was my baby, Benny was a purchase from an unplanned visit to a bird store in Elizabeth near holdens. I walked in and next thing I knew I was walking out with a pink feather duster.

Benny was always very much wanting to be with me, he would sit with me at the computer and just generally be a happy bird. My partner (now wife) moved in about 6 months after getting Benny and he didnt like her at all at first and in fact stopped wanting to be held.

The problem with Benny now is, he just does not want to get on anyones finger anymore, he will come out of the cage when he wants to and it can be a fun exercise to get him back into his cage. (although he gives up when he sees the tea towel and once covered up in it he is a lump going home).

He just had his 2nd birthday, and in fact he had a birthday party with a seed cake and a human cake. He is the love of my wifes life but all she can get from him is a head scratch and sometimes a hand shake. She spoils him with food, and even has put his cage into our bedroom to be with him more.

I can do what I want with him if hes in the mood, other than take him out of the cage he gets a bit shirty with that.

So thats me, and the troubles we have with our baby!! I hope you dont think we are weird to sing happy birthday to our Galah! :)

I hope its just a teenager stage with him, and he will go back to be the cuddle bird he was before.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Welcome to the forum! Three birds sounds like quite a lot to me...I only have one. And having a birthday party isn't weird at all. I do it too. Then again, maybe I'm weird too. :)

Your Galah could be going through a phase, but you can help him along by spending extra time with him and offering lots of treats. Just be patient and try to earn his trust back, and with time I'm sure he'll come 'round. Trick training can help a lot with building/rebuilding trust, and if you're having trouble moving him around since he isn't comfortable being on hands, it might be helpful to touch train him or just train him to "come." Good luck!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum. :)

LOTS of knowledgable members with Galahs. I'm hopeful they'll help you turn your Benny around. :)

Most Reactions