hi

pinyasmom

May 12, 2017
I recently got a female pineapple green cheek she's 9 months old. I had rescued a nanday a few years back but he was already hand tamed so I was able to use the clicker/ treat reward. to train him. Pinya (new bird) However is to scared still for me to get close enough to and won't come out of her cage so she won't take a treat from me to use the same training techniques I'm used to. I would appreciate any advice on getting past this obstacle. I don't want to stress her out and she has quite the bite.my hand at now lives with my daughter whose in college and he's very happy. I am disabled so pretty much always home. Would really appreciate any help please. I've thought of getting her flight feathers clipped until I get her a little tamer but have heard it's not a good thing. Help please. Thanks so much.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! How long have you had Pinya? There is a period of adjustment that varies considerably. Generally a good idea to give them time and patience with expectations. If it's more than a few weeks, other measures may help. I'll post a few links to help establish a better bond.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

Clipping wings is a hotly debated topic with merits on either side, but some folks do clip when behavior is overly aggressive.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sorry for the slow responses! GCC are normally love bugs, and it will just take this little girl some time to warm up! They thrive companionship so it is really only a matter of time, please do not give up on her they are lovely creatures! Just remember to go at her pace, giving her space as she needs it and giving her closeness as she wants it. My JoJo, whom I have had for three years now does everything with me, is sitting cuddled in my neck right now, but will not let me rub his head! Beak rubs? Loves them! Took him weeks to start trusting my hands, I had to always make sure that I reached from under instead of over because of his past life continually being groped! I also used a step up perch more than half the times to not stress him out!
Something to keep in mind, if your little girl really is nine months old within the next nine months possibly she may go into puberty, a hormone raging teenager! Please just help her through this! Their love is forever, let yours be too!

haleyd

May 1, 2017
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Baby Bird)
Clipping is not always a bad thing. In fact most people recommend having a birds flight feathers clipped to some degree for safety purposes within the house. It keeps them from lying into things that may hurt them. Although this part is somewhat opinionated, having them clipped also makes them more dependent on you, therefore easier to bond with in the early stages.
My breeder sends all her birds home clipped. They can still flutter and glide but they don't have the speed that a fully flighted bird would. They are all very easy to touch and be around as well

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well dang... I thought I posted, but GUESS NOT!

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyy, WELCOME!

GCCs are so very deservedly popular. I want one! But that can't happen. So I just have to adore them vicariously here.

Pictures of your 'pina bonita', please!

Most Reactions

Latest posts