High protein foods for molting?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
So JJ my Quaker has had kind of rough feathers since he came to me last fall. Iā€™ve tried to improve his diet and have been waiting for him to have a good molt and start over with some fresh new feathers. He started molting about a month and a half ago but his feathers seem to be coming in so slowly. Tons of pins on his head and neck and his wing and tail feathers are slowly being replaced but the feathers on his body are still looking rough. He will not eat hard boiled egg, which is my favorite go to for a protein boost. Anyone have ideas on some other high protein treats to help him with this molt?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What about some fish? Or chicken?
My Quaker adores fish!

Also sprouted legumes(or cooked)

Is he eating lots of veg too?

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
What about some fish? Or chicken?
My Quaker adores fish!

Also sprouted legumes(or cooked)

Is he eating lots of veg too?
Veggies are a work in progress. I was told that in his last home he got some of whatever his previous owner was eating, but unfortunately that seems to have developed his taste for things like crackers and chips! He will eat some veggies and Iā€™m continually introducing him to more. I never thought of offering him some meat! Iā€™m going to try that next time Iā€™m making some chicken. Sprouted grains was another idea Iā€™ve had bumping around in my brain that I should try too. Thanks for the ideas!

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
The quinoa seems to be a hit! Yay! Thanks Cottonoid!

Attachments

• BC85CC6D-FA33-4F68-8697-561B0188595C.jpeg
    BC85CC6D-FA33-4F68-8697-561B0188595C.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 23

Most Reactions

Latest posts