Hiya All

razberryswirlz

Jan 3, 2010
Hello everyone. I'm Cassie and I've just acquired 8 birds. My Mother-in-law passed recently and as a result, my Father-in-law is going to be moving in with us, along with their dog and all the birds for the time being. We have not made any decisions on if we are keeping all the birds or not. My in-laws had taken in rescue birds and found homes for them and managed to wind up keeping some. I am enamored with them all and wish to help out with them as much as possible. My FIL will be their primary caregiver. I have been a cat and dog owner only. My husband and I have 5 cats and are waiting on on Spring litter of Newfi puppies. Needless to say, we are going to have a small zoo. I have had little to no experience with birds, other than my interactions with this crew when visiting. I have manged to befriend one in a short time and now have a reddened shoulder from where he likes to perch there. The birds in question are 2 Moluccan Cockatoos (Casper and Mattie), 1 Macaw (Karma), 2 Amazons (Diva and Spunky), 1 African Grey (Katie), 1 Lesser Vasa (Maggie), and 1 Cockatoo (Biddy Bird).

I'm looking for any advice for a new bird owner. So far I've learned to be patient when gaining their trust. Of the birds, 1 was an abused Macaw. The only thing we really know about the abuse was a spray bottle was used for disclipine. As a result he will not let us bathe him. I have considered taking him in hte bathroom while showering, but have to reach the point where he will trust me to step up on my arm. So far, the only thing he will let me do is use teh back side of my hand to stroke his break, and only about 2-3 times before he snaps at me. I've noticed he isn't snapping hard, it's like he's saying back off, but not to far. The Moluccans will let me touch them and Casper is my new buddy. He "took" a shower with me earlier and helped himself to my grits. I've learned to put a bandaid over my small nose stud because he has attemped to groom it out. He is a cuddler. I figured bird owners would provide a better source of information on good books to use to read up on and of sources of information.

Beyond birds, I'm an RN, mother of one 8 year old daughter, and leader of a Brownie Girl Scout troop. I quilt, knit, and play with polymer clays. I also spend a lot of time in the kitchen and garden. My husband designs software and has had some experince with the birds. Two of the birds are quite fond of him, however, I think I have stolen Casper from him ;) Looking forward to learning from you all!

Daddy

Dec 29, 2009
Media
northern mo.
Parrots
Adam-my umbrella cockatoo Dreamer-my wifes B&G macaw
welcome and sounds like you have alot of homework to do. the folks here all are really good at helping all they can.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Raz welcome on board, you and the WHOLE crew !!!!
icon7.gif

Wow your hands sure are full.
I would require a diary to remember all the animals names LoL
Daddy is correct, so much homework
Read through the majority of posts in the forum (it's a damn lot, but very informative)
Sure many questions you might ask, have already been posted.
Members are always willing to give great advise and tips.
Anything you not sure about just ask.
Take care
;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts