Howdy.

Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
Ok, an intro. I have two baby budgies, Sunny and Sky, which were Christmas gifts "to my daughter" (it was pretty obvious I was massively excited about our decision, and we all know the seven year old isn't scooping the poop). I've been without a bird for a few years, I had a few budgies and a cockatiel as a teen, and more recently I rescued Sushi the cockatiel when a neighbor's wife died. Poor guy had been left alone in a cage constantly, with one toy that was so old it had dry rot on the rubbery bits. He hardly ever moved around, and bit to draw blood. I got him happy, gave him the run of my apartment, and then moved in with the neighbor's brother (who is now dad to my kid, he was impressed by the kindness I showed his brother's prisioner), but he had a Pomeranian who would NOT leave the bird alone. He became a prisioner again, for his own safety and it broke my heart. Sushi went to a dedicated bird person, and I've missed him so much. But the dog passed away. We still have 4 Poms (Joe's version of birds), but they are willing to sit quietly in their kennel while I have the birds in the living room. 3 of them, anyway. Our little old man is good with the birds. He used to let Sushi ride on his back.

I also have a little indoor garden that includes carnivorous plants, a mock tomato frog, Montenegro isopods, and haunted moss. It has a food web thing going on with worms and bugs eating my plant trimmings, and Morty keeping their population under control while they all fertilize my soil. I love taking pictures of my garden, and I'm looking forward to the day when the new babies are less shy and I can take pics with them outside of the cage. In the meantime, here's a video of me introducing the birds to the camera.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum, Sunny and Sky are really beautiful! I'd love to see pics of your plants and frog, too ❤️
I'm so glad that you joined us:)

OP
Gemma Sarracenia
Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
It is so easy to get me to show off pics of my babies that I even signed up for Flickr so I don't have to link to my blog (which has Redbubble stuff). I can't wait until the birdies will sit on a perch I place them on for a photoshoot, but they still like to stay in their cage mostly. So, here's a few, and there's a few more over here: https://flic.kr/ps/43Pm54 The sunset toned pitchers are the same plant as the pink flower, her pitchers fade as they grow. That's Sarracenia rosea. The one that looks like an apple is a purple pitcher plant flower (S. purpurea). The vividly colored leaf is the cultivar Judith Hindle, named after the grower's best friend's wife. Hmm. Anyway, I don't want to load the servers with all the pics I have that I love, that folder is stuffed.
DSC03630.JPG
apple.JPG
DSC03452.JPG
Isopod 029.JPG
DSC04891.JPG
DSC04102.JPG

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It is so easy to get me to show off pics of my babies that I even signed up for Flickr so I don't have to link to my blog (which has Redbubble stuff). I can't wait until the birdies will sit on a perch I place them on for a photoshoot, but they still like to stay in their cage mostly. So, here's a few, and there's a few more over here: https://flic.kr/ps/43Pm54 The sunset toned pitchers are the same plant as the pink flower, her pitchers fade as they grow. That's Sarracenia rosea. The one that looks like an apple is a purple pitcher plant flower (S. purpurea). The vividly colored leaf is the cultivar Judith Hindle, named after the grower's best friend's wife. Hmm. Anyway, I don't want to load the servers with all the pics I have that I love, that folder is stuffed. View attachment 57916View attachment 57915View attachment 57911View attachment 57912View attachment 57913View attachment 57914
Wow, those are incredible!!! I went to your link and your carnivorous plants all look so healthy! I have never had luck with those:(
We moved 9 years ago and lost every one of our plants because of the time of year we had to move and it broke my heart. It wasn't until last fall that I got 3 plants from an auction and now my living room is filling up - unfortunately we're in the middle of a long, irritating reno and my husband may kill me if I don't hold off!
Do you also garden outside?
I love your frog and whatever that cure little guy is in the pic underneath him! Feel free to post more pics!

OP
Gemma Sarracenia
Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
Wow, those are incredible!!! I went to your link and your carnivorous plants all look so healthy! I have never had luck with those:(
We moved 9 years ago and lost every one of our plants because of the time of year we had to move and it broke my heart. It wasn't until last fall that I got 3 plants from an auction and now my living room is filling up - unfortunately we're in the middle of a long, irritating reno and my husband may kill me if I don't hold off!
Do you also garden outside?
I love your frog and whatever that cure little guy is in the pic underneath him! Feel free to post more pics!
Thank you, and of course they look healthy, or I wouldn't pull my camera out :). I know the heartbreak of loosing plants, I had three hospital visits in the last two years, I've lost so many. I am also happy to see my collection growing, I only had a few pots after the last visit, I am SO glad my three favorite pitcher plants survived (well, I do miss the S. flava). I only garden a little outside, because all the ones that were on the porch are gone. Turns out that due to fibro, my plants are much healthier if I focus on indoors. Less bending over and bright sun (migraines). I do have a few native flowers for pollinators though, but I live in a trailer and the dogs have most of the yard, so just a little patch. I scatter seeds around the trailer park where they won't be likely to get mowed down, I've had some of those come up :). That cute little bug under Morty is a Montenegro isopod, also called clown pillbugs or just clowns. They are frog snacks that also tend to her terrarium plants during their brief stay in her garden. What are your three little plants?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you, and of course they look healthy, or I wouldn't pull my camera out :).

Haha, me either!
I know the heartbreak of loosing plants, I had three hospital visits in the last two years, I've lost so many. I am also happy to see my collection growing, I only had a few pots after the last visit, I am SO glad my three favorite pitcher plants survived (well, I do miss the S. flava).

I'm really happy that your 3 pitcher plants survived, and I'm sorry about the one that didn't:(
I only garden a little outside, because all the ones that were on the porch are gone. Turns out that due to fibro, my plants are much healthier if I focus on indoors. Less bending over and bright sun (migraines).

Fibro here too, but luckily no migraines. We just started working on our backyard last year and I'm itching to get out there again! Luckily, my husband does almost all of the bending over out there.

I do have a few native flowers for pollinators though, but I live in a trailer and the dogs have most of the yard, so just a little patch. I scatter seeds around the trailer park where they won't be likely to get mowed down, I've had some of those come up :).

That's awesome that you scatter seeds around, what a great idea!
That cute little bug under Morty is a Montenegro isopod, also called clown pillbugs or just clowns. They are frog snacks that also tend to her terrarium plants during their brief stay in her garden.

Well, he is precious! If they weren't eaten, how long do they live?
What are your three little plants?
The 3 we got from the auction were a Monstera Deliciosa that looked half dead but perked right up after watering, a Swedish Ivy and a Kangaroo Fern :)
I just missed out on getting a huge Fiddleleaf Fig today, I was so disappointed:(

OP
Gemma Sarracenia
Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
Oh those are pretty plants :). Mine are all carnivores or herbs, and two spider plants from a cutting a friend gave me. I want to get some ferns soon, maybe make a shelf of safe decorative plants in the bird room. I used to have African violets as a teen, I miss them.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you! I so love the Kangaroo Fern, I'd never even heard of it and had to Google the plant once I got it..haha
I also love African Violets and ferns of all types! I have 4 ferns and only 1 African Violet. I want a few more with different colour flowers:)
Plants are just like Pringles, it's hard to stop at just one!

Most Reactions

Latest posts