Home alone for 10 hours

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I made a thread concerning our 3-4 month old sun conure, Boomer. We were concerned that he was lonely at home alone while we were at work. He would not play with his toys and seems to only stay in his hut. We leave music playing, some fresh air, window view with trees, variety of toys, pellets, seeds and veggies in foragers. When we're at home he is out of the cage.

Now my concern about him being alone seems to be more a reality. He seems to be acting out due to boredom or isolation for 10 hours. More and more he screeches louder and longer everytime we go home, he seems nippier and seems more unruly compared to when we first got him from the breeder. We try not to reinforce bad behaviour by ignoring the bad and rewarding the good.

I need your suggestions on how to lessen his loneliness while we are at work. We have thought of some options by order of priority. Please tell us the pros and cons!!!

1. Mirror Toy
2. TV
3. Talking Toy
4. Safe Cuddle Toy
5. Small bird in a separate cage
6. Other conure to later share his cage

Please help us!!! He is a good bird but were worried our attention after we get home is not enough to off set his 10 hour isolation!!!!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
For one thing, your bird is getting older so some behavioral changes are predictable and expected. I am glad that he gets time out of his cage with you, however I would suggest doing some training with keeping him in the cage and getting him interested in toys actively. Training will do wonders for keeping him happy and involved in a positive way. look up target training and other methods to work with him on. You should never buy a second bird for the sole purpose of keeping the first company. A second bird means twice the attention and time demands. Other toys and the tv can serve to keep him interested while you are gone. A variety like shredders, puzzles, interactive talking toys, and others are all great options.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Well he is still a very young baby. Sun conures are very loud. So it could very well be just normal behavior for him. As he gets older he will experiment with his voice. Your being home is causing him to be excited, happy and so he flock calls. All normal.
That being said let's take your answers under consideration:
1.Mirror toy-I do not recommend them. They can cause frustration as well as hormonal behavior.
2.TV- I do recommend it. You can put on a music channel or children's station. The sound and movement is entertaining. Also you could order:[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Sitter-DVD-Volume-Birds/dp/B000PFQAP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338004526&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Bird Sitter DVD - Volume 1 - The DVD Your Birds Love to Watch: Pet Supplies[/ame]
You can also play a radio. My birds enjoy both.
3.Talking toy-they are fine and many birds enjoy then. Ex:babbleball you can add these type toys along with whatever else you do.
4.Safe cuddle toy-I also like these. Many birds especially young ones enjoy something soft to cuddle up to.
5.Small bird in another cage-birds are flock animals that always enjoy company. They do not need to physically interact to feel bonded with another bird. They enjoy verbally sparring with eachother. That being said, I never recommend just buying another bird to stop the behavior of another bird. You either want another bird or you don't. Another bird has needs just like your first. They will have vet bils, need toys, cage, food, attention, love. They will also make noise. Are you prepared for all of the above?
6.Other conure to share his cage-another conure=double the noise and $. As well as what I typed above. Many times when birds share a cage they will bond better with the bird and no longer be as tame as before. This is definitely a last resort.
I think you need to add some of what I listed as well as concentrate on positive reinforcement to change unwanted behavior.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thank you, RescueMe and Greycloud for the tips and well thought out advice. We've looked at talking toys at the popular pet stores but didn't see anything we like (one was a ball that he had to bite very hard to talk and the sound quality was poor). We will probably order one online. We've also tried to let him be comfortable playing in his cage while we're at home so he could get used to the toys.

I'll also try to make his toys (shredders, chews, straws) and rotate around more. I wanted to ask what I can use as a safe rope material to tie it all together? I was thinking a skinny natural rope that he can't tangle himself in but I don't know where to buy those. Any tips on that?

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Let me suggest a Jungle Talk Telephone. My little GCC doesn't like to play with toys. His cage is full of toys but when we are gone he sits in the back beside his "Jungle Talk telephone"...........it is like a security blanket for him. When we return he starts hitting the buttons...I love you, etc.
He has a second one on his java stand....loves that one too. Also a stanless steel belll which he will play with occasionally. Those are about the only two toys he likes. Just a suggestion and maybe it will work for you. You can find both at MY SAFE BIRD STORE

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
We have one of those bird sitter dvd - dunno which one - and at one point about half way through there is a sound that spooked all our birds, which used to include two cockatiels. They all jumped down from their perches at once. We don't play it anymore.

Most Reactions

Latest posts