Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
that's what I'm going this weekend.

Every year the St Lawrence Valley Draft horse club has a Plow Days, and this is the weekend. They plant corn, potatoes, oats and spelt in the spring and we can use all the old binders, diggers, and thrashers. Today wasn't the greatest weather, heavy winds all day and sprinkles here and there all morning and by 1:30 it was pouring, so we shut everything down for the day. Hopefully it will be dryer tomorrow.
We picked up a load of corn that they had bound yesterday, I drove our team on the disc plows and my dad drove them on the potato digger.
We took JT, he's a 6 yr gelding and Mindy, she's 9 or 10 and is blind in one eye. This was the first time I'd driven her, dad bought her after I moved to Oregon, she was going to go for meat and she is such a good girl, not spooky on her blind side at all.

I got a few pics, I'll get more tomorrow

JT and Mindy with my Dad on the potato digger
DSCF1056.jpg
Wagon rides
DSCF1057.jpg
walking plow
DSCF1063.jpg

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
omg I will have the black one in the last picture! :p I'm a fan of black horses haha
they are all beautiful ! I love heavy horses <3

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
mare miller- i was at a heavy horse show about 3 months ago, and all the horses there were sooo calm :eek: i was so surprised at how they really are gentle giants..
i got to ride this big black shire bareback- who was a harness horse- and he just walked around the field and didnt put a foot wrong!

OP
Blue

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
A lot of them are... but just like any animal, it just depends. To me the older type drafts are calmer than the hitch type. Our horses can sit in the field for months and we can pull them out and take them pretty much anywhere and not much bothers them. We've had a tractor trailer blow it's horn right beside them and they didn't even flinch.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Great pictures, and beautiful horses! Sure sent me back in time...well before my time actually. My grandparents had a farm and started off plowing their fields with horses. :eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts