Hot Turkeys

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Our turkeys,Trial and Error,cooling off in front of the fan.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
they are so cute! i love turkeys, they make me laugh :09:! how old are they?

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
We got them for meat,but they're more like dogs than birds,so i guess they're just pets now. LOL I think they're about3-4 months old, got them this spring when less than 1 wk old.Most curious birds i've ever been around, nothing like the chickens. Very tame ,call and they come running,like pets and scratches,pretty cool. Just checked 2months old, still babies

Last edited:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Awww, they must have really won your hearts over :)

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
I set a small hair dryer on the bathroom counter the other day, and put the freshly showered and wet birds in front of it. They stood there until they were fully dried, maybe an hour.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
They are so cute... I doubt I could raise any animal for meat, although I would love to...

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
my problem with raising animals for meat is killing the animal that trusts you...........i couldn't stomach it with our meat rabbits.

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
It's not bad so long as you don't name them.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Yeah, as much as I like turkey, I can't stand seeing a living turkey turn into a package ;( lene, I once met a cow named Yum Yum.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
At the San Diego County Fair last night, about the only live animals we saw were 4H critters headed for auction. The kids are taught to raise an animal, only to have it sold for meat. I suppose it has something to do with the christian belief that man has dominion over all other animals, which animals don't have a soul.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
At the San Diego County Fair last night, about the only live animals we saw were 4H critters headed for auction. The kids are taught to raise an animal, only to have it sold for meat. I suppose it has something to do with the christian belief that man has dominion over all other animals, which animals don't have a soul.

I am a Christian and I feel our faith is a bit misrepresented here. According to websters dictionary dominion is defined as supreme authority. We are stewards of this earth and we should protect it and the animals in it. There isn't anything negative about that. The Bible is full of references as followers of Christ being as precious as a sheep to his shepard. There's even 2 Samuel 12:3, which talks about how a man had a pet ewe who was "like a daughter to him." As far as animals having souls or getting into heaven, I don't have an answer for that. I've heard arguments for both sides and I chose not to think about it. I know when I get there, I'll have everything I need; so there's no need to question God now.

I feel that the "4H critters" you are referring to is simply a families way of getting closer to their food source. A goat, pig, or lamb who is raised on a family farm and loved by a 4H child had a far better and more humane life than their counterparts who were raised strictly for slaughter. Those animals were kept in crampt small enclosures, exposed to a ton of antibiotics, and never felt any ounce of compassion from a human. The children who raised and loved these animals will be far more respectful of where food comes from and less likely to waste than a child who simply sees ground beef, steak, and chicken legs in a grocery store all nicely wrapped up in plastic. Our food comes at a price and kids who see it full circle are much more likely to respect that.

I for one have stopped purchasing eggs from a grocery store and put a small chicken coup in my back yard. I now have fat happy hens who get treats, scratches, and fresh air. One of my girls just decided she wants to be a mom and is sitting on her nest. Well see what happens in another 2 weeks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts