Housing issues

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
So my zon Danny came in a tiny cage(20x24x31) After he calmed down and started to play after a couple months I moved him to a 28x36x48. Well he has stopped playing and just sits all day in one spot. I have his food bowl and water dish spread out so he has to at least move to get to them. It has been over 2 months. He use to walk on the floor of the cage even and he never does that now.
I am starting to think I need to move him back into the smaller cage and just up the amount of time he spends out side it. I have noticed a huge decline in his training sense I up graded his cage also. Any ideas , thoughts?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have to admit, it's a bit odd. My Hunter has switched cages several times, even though she was never in one that was smaller than 30X30. Her first cage was an old, white Cal cage. From there she went into a double macaw cage with a divider. She was fine with the move. From there she went into a King's Cage, Model #406, which is 45X29, and now she's in a A&E cage, 36X28. She's always made herself right at home, never seemed bothered by the moves. :confused::confused:

Did you arrange the new cage similar to the smaller one?

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Yes, just expanded. He just sits there with tight feathers. I have him step up (he is always willing to do this) and put him on the smaller play pen and after a bit he is talking and playing a little (not like before). I put him on the larger tree and again he just sits there, not moving. Its like he is afraid of the space.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I asked a similar question here because my rehomed yellow nape is acting like yours. Only mine was free-flighted with his previous owner so I purchased a 40"x30" to compensate for having his wings clipped. Mine pretty much sits other than to eat and drink which is at a lower level in the cage and to tear up pizza boxes.

My boy is a closet talker. I wish he would come out of his shell and be a bit louder and carefree. I have yet to see him fan his tail and trill at the same time.

I have a smaller cage and have been thinking about changing him into it and see if it makes a difference.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Maybe it's a security thing??? Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence yet?? I'm only guessing here as I truly am clueless.

Shelly, what would happen if you place both cages next to each other (if that's possible)? Would he go right back into this old cage??

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Let me try that, will be back in a few.

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Well I opened his cage and pushed the old one over next to it. It has no perches, food dish or toys. It does have a clucking Zon who all but broke his neck getting into it and when I am asking him to step up he is running around yelling at me...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
BAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! Well there is your answer. I think he may just feel more secure in the smaller cage. :) Don't go selling the bigger one just yet. As he gets older, he may change his mind about it.

That is too funny how you described him!! I'm cracking up over here. :D

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Ugg, Ok so I just had to towel him to pull him out. He is now sitting on the play pen telling me how bad of a caretaker I am while I reset up the smaller cage. I have one more cage that is between the two cages here in storage. I may get him back to where he was in the smaller one and keep working on his self confidence. Then see about getting him into the slightly bigger one before back into this one. Why cant they just be happy when we do things for them!!!!!

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
The big cage will be kept. I always seem to need a cage around here. This one would be tight but would make a OK second ER cage for the Macaw if needed.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
EEEK!!! I guess he really did NOT want to be pried out of his little cage, hey? :eek: Is he watching you in anticipation as you are getting his old adobe ready again? :D

Gosh they can be so funny, can't they?

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
They can be and are PITA's! Danny is still yelling and mumbling to him self. I need to head into town and pick up a couple smaller toys so they even fit in here before I put him back in. He is not going to like it but he needs to go into the bigger one until I get back.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
That was the same problem I had with Porter.

He had been in a 18x18x18 sized cage with 2 other birds at the petshop where I purchased him.

I got him home and kept him in an 18x16x16 when I first got him home for the confidence issues, and proceeded after a few weeks to move him into a larger cage.. the first cage was a 32x18x 40H - He hated it. hated hated hated hated it.

Then I tried him in the budgie cage for the moment an 18x18x 24 and put them in the smaller cage for a few weeks.

He hated that too; but felt more secure in it.

In the end I bought an 18Tx18Wx30L and he was perfectly fine in it.

Birds are crazy in preference.. but dang were the budgies happy to get their cage back.

lols.

Most Reactions