Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Okay, so here we are on day two.

The greys are good. The one is dominant over the other and it's interesting to watch them imitate each other constantly. One stretches the other follows, etc...

From what I can tell by talking to the last owner and by observing them is that they were well loved and cared for, even though the owners never thought to shower them. The birds were mostly just left to their own devices for most of their lives. I think by the way they act that they were hand raised, and would likely bond to humans, but they've gotten used to only having each other for company. They were never or rarely handled and don't like being approached and look at me funny when I sit with them. It's almost like they don't mind me, but are confused as to why I'm always around.

The owner said that one day in their apartments there was a guy going door to door asking if anyone would buy his five month old greys. Something had come up and he needed to leave ASAP. The wife said she was interested and the guy dropped them off that night without taking the money, saying to pay him when they could. They still had their pin feathers.

Because they hadn't the time to spend with their birds, the two are very shy, one much more than the other. If I try petting them or taking a perch to their cage, they flap, squawk and run. They are unclipped, but never learned to fly when they were fledged. They talk fluff and eat around me, and don't mind my being in the room.

That said, how do you train a bird that won't let you close? I am spending all day with them and will continue to do so, but my concern is that because they aren't used to people, that they will just get used to me being there and not have any interest in me. Will the fear go away, or is it unnatural at this point for them to be handled and trained?

They're only 4 years old, so I have hope.

Last edited:

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
Using my experience with my grey, it just takes time. Mine was about four years old when I got him also. It took about a month or so of sing with him and talking before he let me handle him.

It might help if you could get them separated from each other.

Most Reactions

Latest posts