How big of a cage should I have for a 'vacation home' for my bird?

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I have a Yellow Wing Parakeet; he is approximately 8 inches long from beak to tail.. just slightly smaller than a green cheeked Conure.

I have a specialty bird carrier (About the size of a cat carrier and perfect for plane trips) for him when we go on overnight trips but I've never taken him on a week long excursion before.

I need something light and compact that I can take with me when we go.

I DO have a play perch for him; and the car trip is perhaps 4 hours away.

525287_10151281871996691_225334013_n.jpg

625486_10151281872121691_1595348298_n.jpg

430649_10151281872206691_748460858_n.jpg

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Links to images of Porter and his overnight carrier.:green:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
hi jugoya,

your bird is sooo pretty. i've had some recent experience with temporary/vacation cages for my cherry-headed conure. there are some good options, especially with a smaller birdie like yours. afew of questions:

if any, how much time will birdie spend locked inside the vacation cage during your week away, and how much of it is sleep time vs. awake time while locked in?

what size is cage at home and how much time is spent most days locked in, if any?

what is your price range?

will be able to give you better advice once i have that info.

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
His cage at home is a 20x 20x 24 but he doesn't spend as much time in it as one would expect.. He has a large play perch attached and pretty much spends all his time on my shoulder.

When we go on vacation we aren't going to be going out for very long So he'll be locked in for perhaps 2-4 hours tops and he's a rather quiet bird.

He actually SLEEPS in his Carrier and prefers it over his big one.

I have a couple travel perches I take with me as well.

He's harness trained and goes with me pretty much everywhere as well.

And THANK you for the help.. I've been wracking my brains over this.. I've never had a bird that wanted to go with me where ever I went before.

Its quite an experience.

No real price range... but I'd prefer something that can fold up, and fit in a suitcase.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
PS
The cage is 30" wide, 18" tall, 18" deep. It comes with a grate at bottom and pull out tray under that. Comes with two decent sized covered dishes, but I took them out and added the crocks that twist in to their holders. Also comes with two long dowel perches that are half in thick diameter. I left in one, and added rope perch, nice sized swing, other perches. He seems really happy hanging out on top of it. I covered one side with a plastic kitchen cutting board over his sleeping perch area and water dish (just like his home cage). Arranged on top are rope thingys he likes to preen, rubber balls and hoops, etc, and a rope perch shaped ike a horseshoe. I can take a photo if you want to see it.

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
I ended up ordering a easy break down flight cage, at 18x16x32

I think it will work well enough xP

Thanks for the help =D

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Sounds like a good choice. That would have been my other suggestion. It's a bit heavier and costlier, but more sturdy and durable.

Most Reactions