How can he be screeching even more?

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Our Sun Spezi is a screeching fool. He screeches if I stand up, screeches if I go the kitchen, screeches if I leave the room, screeches if I flush the toilet, screeches if I stop to talk to or play with bambam or one of the dogs, screeches if I take the dogs out and screeches the entire time they're out. He screeches when someone knocks, when the doorbell rings, screeches if I get anywhere out of sight and continues til he sees me again. He screeches if he sees a squirrel or cat outside, he's screeches at my husband anytime he moves.... now when he hears my daughters footsetps, bathroom flush upstairs, her room door opening, hears her voice or sees he he goes from "regular Spezi screech" to full on crazy, maniacal rail at zooming by at 90 mph screeching.
I hoped bringing Bambam our U2 home would help, like maybe he'd be less OCD about it but it's just as bad or worse.
I'm ready to have a nervous breakdown and my husband, who has the patience of Job is on the edge. He works from home and he's on calls a lot and it's stressful work but hearing thenon-stop screeching is affecting him to the point I fear he'll blow. He's not that type either- never raises his voice, never tells, rarely gets mad or upset so I can tell he's nearing a breaking point.
We have tried several different things to attempt to modify Spezis behavior. We've tried covering him up (in his own cage", tried moving him to another room to a timeout cage (bare inside so nothing to play with), tried the timeout cage being covered up and one day last week it was almost 70 so I put him on the patio in the sun. I say out with him and he was quiet ---til we came in. When we tried a course of behavior mod if wasn't just once then move on, we tried it for several days- some of them longer.
I just don't know what else to do. We love the guy. He's young and we've only had him since last October. I hoped as he aged it would get better. My daughter realizes the effects it's having on everyone but she insists on keeping him. I fear just he'll push too hard one day and I'll throw something at him or do something I myself would consider abusive.
Are there people out there that can take your birds in and put them thru training? You know like you'd do with a pup or dogs who needs obedience or behavior modification? Can anyone else suggest anything?
I think I've exhausted my resources with him. People always said if I though the sun was loud I should wait to see how loud the U2 will be. The U2 is loud for 30 min in the morning and once or twice during the day. Otherwise he sits quietly playing either in or on his cage, boing, treestand or perch. He occupies himself and he's quiet. Total opposite of Spezi! Spezi has to be with you -like physically on you or he's screeching.
Help!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Has he been to the vet yet for at least an exam, gram stains, and a parasite screening if not blood work?

How old was he when you got him?

Is there anything he doesn't scream at?

What's his routine like?

Can you tell us about his cage setup and daily routine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The best thing I can do is to give you NO advice. My Rb has always been like that, and still is. I tried ignoring and rewarding other behaviors, but I concluded that his screeching is self-reinforcing and therefore would require punishment a d I can't do that, ASSUMING it would work. The only real solution was getting h8m his own room on the second floor. I spend a lot of time in there and bring him out when nobody else is home, usually.
I am so sorry for you. I'm hoping and wishing you find a solution.
I suspect that even if somebody could train him independently, when he got back home... he'd revert.

Hang in there.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also you say he was quiet outside, what was his behavior and body language like while he was outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Ouchie... sound like you are the end of your rope. How much is your lil birdie out of his cage actually on you and socializing? Does he constantly screech then? Sun Conures are VERY social bird and want the flock close as can be. My lil Booger is not much of a cage bird.. he is a shoulder/hand/ top of head bird. Ive managed to get Booger and my much larger (and louder) BFA Cookie to be reasonable in the screeching department. I do not cover them in an attempt to quiet them... nor have I ever used solitary confinement ( separation anxiety) as a training tool. It took me a lil time, but I have them to where they understand that "be right back" means just that.. no need to scream.. and "Bye bye" means no need to scream..I'll be gone a while. There are times .. usually in the evening before bedtime they both like to get side by side doing a screaming "duet"... normal for birds of course but I can make them go dead silent by singing to them softly.. I cant carry a tune in a bucket but they both listen intently to my rendition of ROW YOUR BOAT for a few minutes until their mood passes. Works for me 100% of the time... maybe yall can give it a try? Good luck...don't give up yet.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
So sorry you are having trouble with your Sun. I owned a Jenday years ago and he would screech as well, but it was because he wasn't getting enough attention. How much time do you spend with him socializing, interacting? I'm sure you probably spend more time now with BamBam as he's the new bird, so perhaps your sun feels jealous. Maybe he isn't happy with the decrease in attention he's getting.

You said he's quiet outside, though -- do you think he could spend some time outside every day, like wheel his cage outside for a couple hours? It may calm him down tremendously. Keep us updated!!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I think it could be the time of year/hormones.

Skittles is normally a rather quiet bird, loud but quiet. But the past week or so he has been a LOT more vocal than usual and for what seems like no reason. I have had to put him back in his cage several times. It hasn't reached "time-out" level yet, and I'm hoping it doesn't.

OP
MrsBigE

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
First of all, I wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who responded to this post. After receiving the first few responses and thinking about the questions I decided to take a few days to look at what changes had occurred in the family, in the house, in his cage etc...

Spezi has been to the vet and had his labs etc all checked out and everything was normal.
Spezi has been going through his first molt and has a ton of new feathers poking out. Sometimes when I'm playing with him I accidentally rub one against the grain and he squeaks.
Bam has been home almost two weeks and we had to move quite a bit of furniture around to accommodate his cage. We have a bay window off our eat-in kitchen and took all the furniture out of there so the entire bay is now a parrot playground. There are 2 chandelier perches, a tree, a boing and a 3 tier ladder type perch which is huge. The 2 chandeliers were hung for Spezi and we did move them around to add the other stuff but Spezi has always had access to everything and he loves the new tree the best.
Both cages are opened around 8 am and they remain open all day up until bed time. Bam likes his cage and stays there 90% of the time playing with his toys etc... Spezi is across from him on the tree or other perches in the bay.
Our ritual in the morning was that I get Spezi out and put him a perch, he poops and then he goes with me to sit in the recliner and play. Usually with foot toys or little enrichment boxes. He likes to lay on his back and "play fight" with me. I try to spend at least 45-60 min with him during this early part of the day. Now I'm also doing that whole same process with Bam. After all this playing is done Spezi goes on one of his perches and Bam goes to his open cage. We go through this whole thing again at night before they go to bed which is 8 pm.
What I am noticing is that Spezi is a tattle-tail. When bam does something he's not supposed to do, like climbing to the very top of his cage, Spezi lights up! It seems like the screeching is most often a tattle-tail session, excitement screeching & attention seeking.
Trying to ignore him when he's screeching is the hardest thing to do but seems To be somewhat effective.
Bottom line is that I'm trying to give both birds equal amounts of time and attention but I also try including Spezi when I'm playing catch or whatever with Bam by just letting soezi ride along in my shoulder.
We live in central Ohio so spending time outside every day right now isn't possible. Anytime it's warmer and sunny i take him out. He listens to all the sounds and just watches everything going on.
I had hoped that Bam and Spezi would be friends and it's not a lack of Spezi trying. He wants to preen everyone and even our dogs but Even though Bam was in a nursery with all sizes and types of birds he hasn't let a Spezi too close.
Maybe in time it'll happen but for now I keep Spezi a safe distance from Bams beak.
Thank you again for all your responses. I'll keep working with him and maybe he'll settle down a bit soon. He's so stinkin cute I can't stay mad at him very long.

OBTW - Bam has been talking for awhile but since he's come home his new thing is mimicking Spezi's screech!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wow...sorry to hear about Spezi acting up... I know what screeching can do to someone. Jonesy,my little "beady-eyed monster" Goffin all of a sudden did that from the moment he woke up and even after he went nite-nite..and it was ENDLESS! It got so bad that Amy would yell out SHUT UP! and she is a very proper lady :eek:

I got stress headaches from it,and I was so worried Amy would pick up his screeming,and she is quiet,for an Amazon. I tried everything..I asked the folks here for suggestions...nothing worked :eek:

I had to rehome him :(
His new parronts ( he has been with them over a year now) own the local Muki Mart around the corner and I stop in a couple times a week. TJ says he screams still...not a lot...and he still cusses lol..but she says they love him anyway..

I hope your situation improves soon!

Jim

Most Reactions