How can I Build a Parrot Aviary in my backyard in Gilbert, Arizona?

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I don’t have any, but I am looking to get one.
I need help with Knowing How to Build a Parrot Aviary in my backyard in Gilbert, Arizona for a Scarlet-chested Parrot, Ornate lorikeets, Red-winged Parrots, and a Princess of Wales parrots, also Plum-headed parakeet?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Making an outdoor aviary is both difficult and expensive. If the frame is wood, they can chew right through it. What ever you use instead of the usual bars has to be parrot safe which means no zinc coated (galvanized) stuff. You need to address rodent infestation precautions, usually fixed by building on a concrete base, not cheap. Water drainage too. THere are reasonably priced aviarys that are available on Amazon etc, made from aluminum, with aluminum mesh that are pretty good. ITs got to be pretty sturdy to be predator proof, both the winged and 4 footed type. And depending on where you live - people proof too. You dont want someone breaking in and stealing your precious parrots, right?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I have looked into this extensively for a long time, and as Wrench said, handbuilding one is expensive and very difficult. You need really unique materials and skill sets and tools to make an entirely parrot safe outdoor aviary. It's honestly easier to just buy. I've been eyeing this one for awhile, you'd need the 85" one since it has the 1/2in bar spacing.

but tbh I'd be using it for indoor purposes. And you'd have to do a bunch of other stuff to make it safe for outdoor use.

I also really recommend against an outdoor aviary because of the increase in avian flu. It can wipe out a flock very quick.

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
Thank you Both, I think I might Just buy one instead

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
keep in mind that buying one you will still need to predator proof it. This usually entails putting a concrete foundation so animals can't dig under. You will need to probably put plexiglass bases so snakes and rodents can't crawl through the bars. You will need to figure out a roof for it and make sure other birds aren't interacting with the enclosure and possibly passing illness.

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
Actually I plan on getting all these Birds Eventually But for now I should Probably start with one Probably a Scarlet-chested parrot or a Plum-headed parakeet, so Eventually I will get an aviary like the one you linked and I book marked this thread page for the future Aviary, but can you tell me where I can get cage for a Plum-headed parakeet or a Scarlet-chested parrot to live in, what cage will I need? Also this is Cage for my room not outside

Last edited:
OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
Actually I plan on getting all these Birds Eventually But for now I should Probably start with one Probably a Scarlet-chested parrot or a Plum-headed parakeet, so Eventually I will get an aviary like the one you linked and I book marked this thread page for the future Aviary, but can you tell me where I can get cage for a Plum-headed parakeet or a Scarlet-chested parrot to live in, what cage will I need
keep in mind that buying one you will still need to predator proof it. This usually entails putting a concrete foundation so animals can't dig under. You will need to probably put plexiglass bases so snakes and rodents can't crawl through the bars. You will need to figure out a roof for it and make sure other birds aren't interacting with the enclosure and possibly passing illness.
Thank you for the Advice. Actually I plan on getting all these Birds Eventually But for now I should Probably start with one Probably a Scarlet-chested parrot or a Plum-headed parakeet, so Eventually I will get an aviary like the one you linked and I book marked this thread page for the future Aviary, but can you tell me where I can Buy a cage for a Plum-headed parakeet or a Scarlet-chested parrot to live in, what cage will I need? Also this Cage is for my room not outside

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
You'll come across a heap of info on the internet, much of it conflicting.
Some things I know from my research.
Wood. MUST be untreated, safe wood if birds have access to it, Downside to this is the wood is unlikely to be durable and will probably rot with time. Does not have to be if you build it in a way they cannot access to chew it (But I think I remember seeing something about water can become contaminated by treated wood, so that's another risk). I personally would opt for not wood if I was building for hookbills (Parrots).
Mesh/metal. This is where you will come across lots of conflicting info.
Stainless steel mesh is highly durable and completely safe but also very expensive.
Galvanised is often villainized for being zinc plated, which technically is a legitimate concern, but there's more to it. Galvanised should always be weathered. Whether naturally as the name suggests or by using a vinegar wash and thoroughly scrubbing the metal to remove excess zinc and loose bits of metal.
Logically your aviary should be big enough and set up correctly to limit or eliminate physically contact with mesh or framing. Aviaries are different to cages in that birds are in no way forced to climb around on their enclosure.
Galvanized mesh/aviaries have been used for many decades, if birds were constantly dying of metal toxicity aviculturists would have stopped using it a long time ago.
Powder-coated mesh may also be another safe option.
Predator and vermin proofing is also very important. I just don't have a heap of time to go into it right now, but most of the information you require can be found fairly easily.
Basically my advice would be to do as much research as you can, find out what your budget would be, and go from there. There are people who make custom aviaries, maybe you should try to find someone.
I am completely un-handy so I opted to buy second hand aviaries and fix them up, they are all basically still in progress. I also purchased one that is waiting for a concrete slab before I finish assembling it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts