What bird is most suitable for me - and to which bird am I suitable?

DR-RM

May 18, 2023
Hello!

I'm totally new to this forum. The reason why I created this account is to get a more comprehensive view from the community regarding getting a pet bird. I have been considering this for a few years now, with careful consideration. If I get a bird, I plan on keeping it for life. I wouldn't have the heart to part with an animal once bonded.

I want your opinions about what bird to go for, taking my current living- and occupation situation in mind. I want to make sure I can care for the bird in accorande to its needs. I wouldn't be against getting a pair of birds simultaniusly or successivly depending on what is most beneficial for the bird species in question.

Circumstances:
I currently live in a 75 sqm (800 square feet) apartment (2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen bathroom, hallway, balcony) in a quiet neighbourhood with a small park a one minute walk away. The apartment is fairly well sound insulated and can definitely fit a cage 2x2x2 meters, maybe even 2x3x2 meters. There is aqequate indoor lighting and temperature control. I can add humidity control as needed. The home contains a fair bit of electronics and cables in the living room and in one of the bedrooms. The living room has a large fabric sofa and a plush carpet on a wooden floor.
I work a regular job and will be away 08-17 during the week and usually be home most hours on weekends. The job is well payed and I will be working there for the rest of my career. I am currently living alone and economy isn't an issue for me considering savings and job safety.

Requirements:
The reason why I want a bird instead of any other "pet" is their social and cognitive intelligence as well as their ability of verbal and non-verbal communication. I guess I'm looking for a companion, rather than a typical "pet". I'm mostly fascinated by the Grey Parrot, the Cockatoo and the Cockatiel, not to mention the Black Raven (which I'm aware is a wild bird and not a pet). I would like my home not to be chewed to bits but Im willing to "parrot-proof" it as much as neccessary. I would like to be able to (one day) have an "open cage policy" when I'm at home so the bird/s can be more free and return the cage at will. I'm aware that potty training a bird isn't really a thing in the sense of the word, but a bird with regular empying habits, longer "cloacae time" or with the ability to "poop on command" after training is preferable.

So basically, I would like a highly intelligent bird with vocal abilities that is a least moderatly social and don't risk getting depressed being alone for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I hope that it comes across clearly that this is not a sponanteous desicion or impulse, and that I'm keen about the animals well-being. Since I only plan on getting this/these bird/s companions once, and no others over time, I kindly dismiss recommendations about "starting birds" or "beginner birds".

Thank you very much for your input!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

SO first off, I would highly recommend you try to volunteer at a local parrot sanctuary or a vets office that works with parrots, before making your final plunge. NO matter how much research and reading you do, nothing can convey fully what it is like to be owned by a parrot. Nothing. They are much louder, messy, time consuming, demanding and expensive then one would think. It does take a very special type of person to welcome these essentially wild animals into our homes. Yes parrots are still wild animals, most individuals are at best 3 generations away from being in the wild. It takes hundreds or even thousands of generations and a lot of specific breeding to domesticate an animal (and I am not sure we want a fully domesticated parrot! That 'wildness' is part of their attraction).

As to your prefered species, Grey, or a cockatoo, these are both HIGHLY intellegent species and come with all the needs of a intellegent mind for stimulation, companionship and challenges. They are 2 of the most likely species to develop phobias and resort to plucking of feathers and possible body mutilation if not sufficiently supplied with the above (and no guarantees, even if you do supply them). They are SUPER smart when compared to what we humans like to think of as the smart members of the animal kingdom. Cockatoos in particular exhibit this plucking behavior a lot, and they can become very 'needy' as far as one on one time. IT will take work on your part to assure these species are well rounded and know how to self entertain themselves. Some individuals do this readily and some are just needy ( much like humans - every one is different). Greys are not so needy, in fact a lot of African Greys are just fine with never wanting human physical contact - not unfriendly but just not into it. Out of your 3 choices, I would suggest the cockatiel. Easyier to handle, not as loud as these other 2, rarely start plucking, usually not 'one-person-birds'. WHile they often do not talk they can whistle just about any melody you care to teach them and some they just pick up. As a note here - No parrot is guaranteed to talk! Even the famous species like Greys and the hot 3 Amazons - some will talk, some will sing, some will just imitate sounds and some do all 3. Talking is just the top cream in the coffee of parrots, there is so much more to them then that. FYI Cockatoos almost never talk or if they do have a limited vocabulary and talk in that scratchy voice they have. They do yell and scream a lot though. Cockatoos are the #1 surrendered to sanctuaries parrot in the world followed by Amazons and Macaws. Any large parrot is a challenge. Not that smaller ones are not as challenging, but with a beak that can deliver severe damage, and the smarts to use that to their benefit in a household situation, large parrots can present problems that can overwhelm a new owner.

If you proceed, make sure that you supply your parrot with an abundance of toys, destroyable one, lots of foraging opportunities and puzzles if it will be alone for 9 hours a day. I would NOT recommend getting 2 parrots, especially at first. Getting a pair of parrots to bond with you is MUCH more difficult and harder then with just one.

I wish you luck! If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask them here - it is what ParrotForums is all about!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello!

I'm totally new to this forum. The reason why I created this account is to get a more comprehensive view from the community regarding getting a pet bird. I have been considering this for a few years now, with careful consideration. If I get a bird, I plan on keeping it for life. I wouldn't have the heart to part with an animal once bonded.

I want your opinions about what bird to go for, taking my current living- and occupation situation in mind. I want to make sure I can care for the bird in accorande to its needs. I wouldn't be against getting a pair of birds simultaniusly or successivly depending on what is most beneficial for the bird species in question.

Circumstances:
I currently live in a 75 sqm (800 square feet) apartment (2 bedrooms, living room, kiapartmenttchen bathroom, hallway, balcony) in a quiet neighbourhood with a small park a one minute walk away. The is fairly well sound insulated and can definitely fit a cage 2x2x2 meters, maybe even 2x3x2 meters. There is aqequate indoor lighting and temperature control. I can add humidity control as needed. The home contains a fair bit of electronics and cables in the living room and in one of the bedrooms. The living room has a large fabric sofa and a plush carpet on a wooden floor.
I work a regular job and will be away 08-17 during the week and usually be home most hours on weekends. The job is well payed and I will be working there for the rest of my career. I am currently living alone and economy isn't an issue for me considering savings and job safety.

Requirements:
The reason why I want a bird instead of any other "pet" is their social and cognitive intelligence as well as their ability of verbal and non-verbal communication. I guess I'm looking for a companion, rather than a typical "pet". I'm mostly fascinated by the Grey Parrot, the Cockatoo and the Cockatiel, not to mention the Black Raven (which I'm aware is a wild bird and not a pet). I would like my home not to be chewed to bits but Im willing to "parrot-proof" it as much as neccessary. I would like to be able to (one day) have an "open cage policy" when I'm at home so the bird/s can be more free and return the cage at will. I'm aware that potty training a bird isn't really a thing in the sense of the word, but a bird with regular empying habits, longer "cloacae time" or with the ability to "poop on command" after training is preferable.

So basically, I would like a highly intelligent bird with vocal abilities that is a least moderatly social and don't risk getting depressed being alone for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I hope that it comes across clearly that this is not a sponanteous desicion or impulse, and that I'm keen about the animals well-being. Since I only plan on getting this/these bird/s companions once, and no others over time, I kindly dismiss recommendations about "starting birds" or "beginner birds".

Thank you very much for your input!
My concerns are:
1. the noise level for an apartment dweller. You say your apartment is "fairly well insulated" but the noise that a cockatoo makes is pretty ear drum splitting and MANY people get evicted because of noisy birds. All pet birds except for finches and canaries are noisy. Budgies and cockatiels are the least noisy. Would you be willing and able to rent a small house if your bird turns out to be too lod for apartment or condo living?
2. How old are you? If you want a companion bird for "life" make sure YOU have another 50 good years left to fulfill your obligation to your bird if you decide to get a young cockatoo or other long lived bird.
3. Leaving a companion bird alone at least nine hours a day five days a week is very hard on a social animal like a parrot. If you get two birds so they can keep each company, they may like each or they may hate each other. If they like each other it may detract from the personal relationship between you and your bird BFF. If they don't, all you've done is create more work, noiser for

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My concerns are:
1. the noise level for an apartment dweller. You say your apartment is "fairly well insulated" but the noise that a cockatoo makes is pretty ear drum splitting and MANY people get evicted because of noisy birds. All pet birds except for finches and canaries are noisy. Budgies and cockatiels are the least noisy. Would you be willing and able to rent a small house if your bird turns out to be too lod for apartment or condo living?
2. How old are you? If you want a companion bird for "life" make sure YOU have another 50 good years left to fulfill your obligation to your bird if you decide to get a young cockatoo or other long lived bird.
3. Leaving a companion bird alone at least nine hours a day five days a week is very hard on a social animal like a parrot. If you get two birds so they can keep each company, they may like each or they may hate each other. If they like each other it may detract from the personal relationship between you and your bird BFF. If they don't, all you've done is create more work, noiser for
Oop! Continued:
3. Two birds that don't get along is just more work, more noise and more expense.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Oop! Continued:
3. Two birds that don't get along is just more work, more noise and more expense.
Also- there are no "starter birds" or "beginner birds". Some people think of and treat budgies like they are disposable like that but they are real parrots, too, with all the wonderful traits of bigger parrots with less expense, noise.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
this ^ there are NO starter birds.

32014436117_ac0c279d7b_o.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So true, Clark. My last parrot before Salty, my beloved and much grieved Max, was a BeeBee parrot, and they don't come much smaller. He was 100% parrot and thought he was a macaw, so brash and bold.

Most Reactions

Latest posts