How can I calm myself down when my bird bites?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
PPP, forbey is saying to "ignore" the bite. People recommend this technique so that it'll teach the parrot that it's not getting what the bird wants.... the bird can't boss you around.

In reality, it's not understanding why the bite is occurring in the first place and is not respecting the bird. If possible, birds should not be pushed into feeling as if they need to bite.

Many people say that getting bitten is just a part of parrot ownership, but it doesn't have to be that way! With the right kind of training, parrots can be trained with minimal amounts of biting, if any at all.

Thinking about it most of the bites I took did not need to happen. When I was a child my first bird was a flighted budgie who gave me a good bite when I held him. I was given a book that talked about stick training and feeding the bird from your hand. The books advice worked on getting him into a bird that would set up, sit on my hand or shouldered and he was a adult bird. Had I not tried holding him before doing the books advice I would not have to take that bite. I also wondered if I backed off some I may not have been bitten by Clover (my green cheek conure). I also noticed my attitude played a role on whether I got bitten. When I had the Green Cheek conure Paulie the one time he was nippy I set him on his perch in his cage and said no biting (this was what the breeder had said to do). I never had problem since but other people reacted in fear to him. Or in my fathers case his reaction was laughter as he pried Paulie off his nose. No doubt Paulie must of thought my dad was happy about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts