How can I keep a sun conure in my house?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I am rather lenient when he makes certain calls. Morning, nighttime and 'danger' calls. I have learned to decipher what is an 'alert' call or 'flock call' from one that is a 'i want now!' call.

I just wasn't sure how people would react to the time-out method I used. I've read posts in the past where people poo-poo the idea of time-outs as being cruel. I believe its more the methodology behind the time-outs that separates proper ones from cruel ones.

For example, a friend of mine knew of someone who had a green cheek that was never let out of the cage and as a result would screech incessantly. So they put the bird in a separate room and covered her all day. She has since passed on and I told my friend to never introduce me to the owners cause I'd rip them a new one and go all Guantanamo on them.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
it's all in the method really. shutting a bird in a cage 24/7 is ridiculous. What they do to deserve life imprisonment? Do you buy a dog and keep it crated forever? No you interact and play with them.

Punishment need not be extreme, it's just a method used to teach right from wrong, showing what happens when they're naughty. They don't want to be punished they don't do the naughty thing, the harshest punishment in a parrot's eyes punishment is removal from the flock much how it works in the natural world so that often works. It baffles me how people don't seem to understand simple concepts like that

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Skittys I think that is an excellent method you have used, and it has obviously worked!! I think its genius actually. Thanks for sharing

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanks for the compliments. It means a LOT.

I try my best to be the best parront I can for Skitty. He wants for nothing (except what he cannot have lol). But I have learned there is a VERY fine line between being pampered and being spoiled and you cannot reinforce that line enough. They WILL test you six ways from Sunday every single day hoping you will give in.

There are times when Skittles ignores commands and has this 'refuse to obey' attitude. He IS a little diva. Sometimes I have to raise my voice and stomp my foot to get him to obey, but he does. He is incredibly responsive most of the time, but he is also VERY stubborn.

It cracks me up (and my friend as well who was the one to confront me about the spoiled brat behavior) thinking about how he was and how he is now. I am living proof that with proper training, discipline, persistence, patience and a little love and care, you can turn the most unruly bundle of terror into a lovey dovey bundle of feathers.

I will say this though, I've had birds for almost 30 years and thought I had seen and heard everything with all the rescues I handled over the years. But NOTHING could have prepared me for what I got with Skittles. Even the research I did paled in comparison to what I learned over the years from having Skittles. In the end, all those years of re-training rescues and rehomes came in handy with a non-rescue.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Don't know if the OP is still here...but you might try soundproofing your space. Back in the prehistoric times I might have been associated with some punk rock bands playing in basements and garages. Google will help you here...I recall putting egg cartons along the walls with blankets over them. Probably that was a fire hazard and there are better materials available now. Training the little monster, I mean adorable sun conure, to be quiet might have some success but having a bit of soundproofing at least in the room that needs it most could make things less stressful.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I agree there. Luckily, the building I live in has very good insulation. This building was built in three pieces so that also helps in terms of soundproofing. But still, Skittles CAN be heard all the way down the hall and even outside (if the window is open).

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Okay, I have to pipe in here. I have 1 GCC who is as quiet as a mouse. Honestly. I know it's not the norm but it is for Pickles. My Suns, on the other hand, are outrageously loud. I really believe part of it is due to having 2 of them together, they feed off each other and the noise is quite impressive. If we didn't live on a farm I am quite sure we would have major problems. I have never tried any behavior mod other than redirecting the noise into talking which has been moderately successful. The male is definitely the loudest but the little girl is by no means demure. If we lived in almost any other condition I could see huge problems, but it is basically a problem of our own ignorance. They are noisest when they see me in particular as I am mommy and really the only one to let them out so it is only to be expected. We have kind of created the monsters that they are. I firmly believe that if they were single birds and I worked at it I could drastically reduce the noise level, but without knowing the individual bird it is so hard to know if it would fit in with your family and situation, it is a really difficult situation. We hope/plan/pray on moving to the mountains soon as I want to get the he** out of our area but can't chance living in a regular "neighborhood". I also have a rescue dog whose pitch is just about the same as the Suns and just makes your eardrums vibrate. We all make choices in life and this is ours.

Most Reactions