how can i make my budgie have fun?

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
hi everyone, i have my parakeet for eight months now, she's really affectionate, she likes me to scratch her head the night before she goes to sleep and sing her something.
she also likes to peck me like she's grooming me and then playing with me and her favorite toy, however, she won't come out of the cage at all and when I manage to get her out, she is uncomfortable so I put her back in, this has been since she hit the glass a few times in an accident that it happened months ago, sometimes i feel like she gets bored and i feel sad that she is not enjoying her life, as she barely gets out of her cage, what can i do? i feel like a bad owner😭

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
There's a book out there that covers all sorts of toys. I have it and LOVE it! it goes into the different play styles of birds, from budgies to amazons and macaws. Click the link below :D . The book is called 'Parrot Toys and Play Areas'.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
It sounds like she is comfortable with you but fearful to come out of her cage? And this started after she flew into a window a few months ago?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
hi everyone, i have my parakeet for eight months now, she's really affectionate, she likes me to scratch her head the night before she goes to sleep and sing her something.
she also likes to peck me like she's grooming me and then playing with me and her favorite toy, however, she won't come out of the cage at all and when I manage to get her out, she is uncomfortable so I put her back in, this has been since she hit the glass a few times in an accident that it happened months ago, sometimes i feel like she gets bored and i feel sad that she is not enjoying her life, as she barely gets out of her cage, what can i do? i feel like a bad owner😭
Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not your fault she hit the glass.

It sounds like she's been spooked and doesn't trust her surroundings.
The good thing is that she still trusts you and loves you, her grooming you is like her kissing you it's an affectionate gesture.

Try getting her to perch on your shoulder as you do something like watch TV. She will feel safe next to you. Over time she will hopefully venture out beyond your shoulder.

OP
mie

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
It sounds like she is comfortable with you but fearful to come out of her cage? And this started after she flew into a window a few months ago?
yes!

Most Reactions

Latest posts