How can you stand the noise?

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Do people frequently ask you about or comment on your noisy birds at times when you think your birds are being quiet?
I do, all the time and the most irritating part is that when I dismiss it, people say that l must just be just used to it. They seem to think that anything other than complete silence is too loud. I could explain the difference till I'm blue in the face but they will only ever believe that a sound they don't like no matter what the volume = too loud.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
It annoys me when my dad says Fargo is loud..

During the week, Fargo doesn't make a single noise, absolutely no screaming.. The only thing he does is just talk for 5 minutes whilst he is sitting with me..

However on the weekends, when my dad is home, he BLASTS music, at full volume, outside my room... and Fargo HATES it, so he talks and talks and screams until i calm him down and distract him..

and then dad yells saying Fargo is too loud :eek:

and i guess i am used to him saying 'hello, hello, hello' so now that my nana is here for christmas, when Fargo has his talking moments, she complains that he is noisy, even though he only talks for 5 minutes... :20:

It is like they forget during the week how quiet he is, but as soon as he makes a noise on the weekends, he is apparently this incredible loud noisy bird :rolleyes:

They say a bird is as noisy as its house hold... So during the week my house is silent because i am home alone.. But weekends, it is just music all afternoons!

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Oh my gosh! Tab_xo....your a super moderator now, congrats! I missed so much! Okay, back on topic...budgies honestly aren't the loudest bird, but the chattering can distract you when you are trying to work xD. I usually (i know i should stop), give her a small treat to calm her down. It's not that she instantly destroys toys, she plays with the new one constantly and gets bored, and i don't have time sometimes to go out and get a new batch (i buy toys every week in like batches of 5 or 6), and i rotate them. i have a toy for every day of the year now! sighs -.-

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
My dad and mom are always saying my birds are so loud but they really arent they are loyd like a tiny bit during certain times and Merlin my Mac only goes off really when he is scared by someone he doesnt know walking outside his room and my dad goes there a lot on the weekends moving wood and stuff so he is always complaining grrrr i hate it! I like their noises and my mom says they are too loud and annoying.....

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Well, Kiwi is an especially loud bird so when he is I usually rush to hush him, lol. :eek: Sometimes I let him scream himself out, other times I wait for him to hush and then grab him. Sometimes he's just being a bird and screaming to scream, but my dad HATES the sounds he makes (which I don't blame him) so I usually hush him.

Recently we were at the vet (I did a job shadow!) and there was an amazon that just talked and TALKED. my dad was like 'I'd hate to have one of those' - hehe, :eek: little does he know if Kiwi is a boy he'll probably be a pretty decent talker, lol. Not as much as the amazon, but probably enough to annoy him. But I think talking is cuter then screaming but what do I know...

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When I tell people how many birds we have, first comment is OMG, you must have a noisy house. I told them actually no it's rather quiet most of the time. They all have their moment but they can all be pretty quiet that you can actually take a nap without them waking you up as I would do at times when I'm sick on the couch.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Recently we were at the vet (I did a job shadow!) and there was an amazon that just talked and TALKED. my dad was like 'I'd hate to have one of those' - hehe, :O

THAT is exactly why, i don't understand when people say-

I want a bird that talks..

But i don't want a noisy/loud bird....

A bird who talks will probably be alot louder than a bird that doesn't :20:

I know Fargo is just ALOT louder with all his talking than his rare occasional scream!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Some people are just not animal people.
They fail to see why anyone in their right mind would bring a noisy, messy bird into their home.
What these people do not understand is the type of magic that pet birds bring to a relationship with humans.
Pet birds are among the rarest of wild animals and they can potentially become loving members of a human family.

Birds rely heavily on talking and singing to communicate.

I do not believe a talking bird is louder than any other bird, unless something irritates or scares a bird, they tends to scream and rant.

New neighbors moved in two months ago they were unaware that I even had a bird, until they popped in to introduce themselves.

:grey:

[FONT=arial,]

[/FONT]

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

During the week, Fargo doesn't make a single noise, absolutely no screaming.. The only thing he does is just talk for 5 minutes whilst he is sitting with me..

However on the weekends, when my dad is home, he BLASTS music, at full volume, outside my room... and Fargo HATES it, so he talks and talks and screams until i calm him down and distract him..

and i guess i am used to him saying 'hello, hello, hello' so now that my nana is here for christmas, when Fargo has his talking moments, she complains that he is noisy, even though he only talks for 5 minutes... :20:

It is like they forget during the week how quiet he is, but as soon as he makes a noise on the weekends, he is apparently this incredible loud noisy bird :rolleyes:

They say a bird is as noisy as its house hold... So during the week my house is silent because i am home alone.. But weekends, it is just music all afternoons!

Oh shame poor Fargo being picked in like that !!!!

He us just trying to deaden the sound of your father's music

:grey:

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Recently we were at the vet (I did a job shadow!) and there was an amazon that just talked and TALKED. my dad was like 'I'd hate to have one of those' - hehe, :O

I know Fargo is just ALOT louder with all his talking than his rare occasional scream!

Or a bird that doesn't bite... Or doesn't make a mess... Or doesn't smell (I don't think they really smell, but some people do)... Or doesn't need toys....

Ya ok those birds don't exist

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Percy is not a 'screamy' bird at all. He contact calls for a few minutes in the morning and evening and screeches a bit when he's 'singing' along with his fave music. But overall, he's just a talker - babbles a lot! :)
What gets me is my sis that pulls up her nose at 'the messy' cage and playgym setup in my 'fancy' lounge. "You made it so nice and now you destroyed it all with all this bird crap here" (she doesn't mean poop, she just means bird stuff). My opinion is that if visitors don't like my lounge, they're quite welcome to go home to their own, birdless lounge. My Percy lives here and so gets preference over any visitor that's only going to be here for an hour.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Sometimes Meiko can be loud, but he's usually pretty quiet. With that being said, I had a guest over about a week ago and he brought his puppy to play with our puppy and they were getting crazy. Meiko was in his cage observing them when all of a sudden, he makes a little squawk noise and my friend comments on how loud it was!!! I asked, "What noise?" And he replied, "Your bird." Lol I didn't even notice.

So, in part, I think we do get used to the noise, but people just don't understand the difference between a "quiet" bird and a noisy bird. A "quiet" bird is still loud to people who don't know birds or don't like them. A noisy bird is one that can scream loud enough to annoy even the seasoned bird owner/lover. Haha

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
My kids were just at their dads for the holidays They texted me saying "mom its TOO QUIET here " We miss you :) LOL :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
We have a bit of a crazy lady living next door to us. I probably shouldn't say that: she's really OK, but is one of those older ladies who complains a lot about things that no one else cares about. I'm just waiting till she complains about the Beaks, now they're living outside. Barney spends quite a bit of his morning saying 'Hello' in every possible way it could be said. And then there are the flock calls, which they do in response to the Rainbow Lorikeets that fly overhead at all times of the day. And then there are the 'MummyMummyMummy!' calls if I haven't spent enough time with them.

The main thing is, though, that the native birds living around our area are every bit as noisy as the Beaks, if not noisier. Aside from screeching parrots of every description, we have Wattlebirds and Friar Birds and Koels and Butcher Birds and Figbirds and Drongoes and Dollar Birds all around us at present. And they all make loud, LOUD noises! If anyone *dared* to mention the sounds my birds make, I'd be ready with a recording of the outdoor noise!

Before I had the Beaks, we kept fancy mice. These mice lived in a series of cages and tanks inside my house (on account of three cats). Visitors used always to wrinkle up their noses and say 'Pooh!' about the smell. I would always reply 'I can't smell a thing!' and smile at them sweetly. In actual fact, I can't smell anything at all and so the mice were really never a problem for me. My sainted hubby put up with them for my sake, but reckons the pong was pretty bad. LOL! Thing is, I loved my mice - they were funny and clever and so, so cute. The only reason I don't still have them is that it got pretty hard on my son, because they have such a short lifespan: he would grieve for them dreadfully.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009

Or a bird that doesn't bite... Or doesn't make a mess... Or doesn't smell (I don't think they really smell, but some people do)... Or doesn't need toys....

Ya ok those birds don't exist
Yes they do!! Got one for my sister as a joke and she loves it! She named it "SHUT UP!" Feel the birdy love!! LOL

$T2eC16NHJH!FFmKZ4sDiBR1JqPTzyQ~~60_35.JPG

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MjHKOblubxQ&noredirect=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MjHKOblubxQ&noredirect=1[/ame]

Last edited:

waternurse

Dec 21, 2013
Noise can definitely be an issue with birds. But if you're someone who values quiet and doesn't want a noisy house, you shouldn't have a bird. They're loud. It happens. Just like cats shed, dogs nails grow. You can't avoid it. I've heard of many people with birds who end up putting their bird in the basement just for some quiet - those birds end up re-homed with lots of issues.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It seems every time I am on the phone, whoever I'm talking to mentions how they couldn't stand to have this many loud birds. It is always when they are being the most quiet and shocks me. I usually tell them that they probably should own birds if the sounds bother them, good decision on their behalf:)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)

I noticed that too tab. If I play music or the tv Captain Jack gets louder the louder the noise is. I also get Captain Jack out when I am on the phone so he will not make any noise when I am talking to someone. On subject I feel bad Fargo is being complained about. :(

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I noticed that too tab. If I play music or the tv Captain Jack gets louder the louder the noise is. I also get Captain Jack out when I am on the phone so he will not make any noise when I am talking to someone. On subject I feel bad Fargo is being complained about. :(

Oh really? He doesn't try and talk on the phone as well? ;)

Fargo enjoys saying hello to random people whilst i am talking :54: haha

Oh its ok, my dad complains about all the animals, he hates animals, especially the horses..

but mum loves them... Weird relationship :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts