How do I get a pair abandoned homing pigeons to come back to their coop?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yesterday, my neighbor called me to tell me that there were 2 abandoned homing pigeons on one of her landlord's properties. Basically, someone had lived in one of the houses and built a pigeon coop behind a shed. When they moved out, they left the pigeons without telling anybody. They had no food and water, the previous owner basically just opened the door and hoped they'd make it.

I went over right away, and we put some food and water in the coop. They didn't come in last night, but they came in the night before so I'm not too worried about them being lost. I can't be there all the time, as this neighbor is about half an hour away by walking, a little less by bike ride. I'm going to go clean the coop today. She has some trail cameras so we can set those up. The winters are harsh here (but it's warm this time) and there are a lot of predators. We are very worried for these birds. I will look for them today on the property, but is there anything else I can do? They're obviously domestic birds, and we both suspect they haven't been fully coop trained yet.

Newtothis

Dec 17, 2023
If you throw food down for them and they see you are throwing food for them they will come down u have to whistle as well idk how to explain it but if there homing pigeons they will come down you have to do the whistle they will come down

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
If you throw food down for them and they see you are throwing food for them they will come down u have to whistle as well idk how to explain it but if there homing pigeons they will come down you have to do the whistle they will come down
They're not my birds, and they haven't been spotted for over a day now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts