How do i give bath to Luna??

namikazekasumi

Jul 29, 2015
Pakistan,Islamabad
Parrots
1 Plum-Headed Female
The Thing is i want to give a bath to Luna (haven't done that since i brought her home) i am afraid that she might catch cold cause she's roughly 5 months old and also she's really afraid of water:confused:

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I would suggest a spray bottle first. Play with her and leave the bottle close by... Maybe show her the bottle, spray it on yourself..then in the air..Just so she can know its nothing to be afraid of. Go at her pace.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
You can also bring her in the bathroom when you take a shower, maybe put her up on the shower curtain rod so she gets the steam, but not necessarily get her wet just yet, or give her a wide bowl of warm water and splash it with your fingers a little.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Warm, like you would for a baby, or room temperature is fine if you're giving her a bowl to bathe in.

AJBirds

Apr 9, 2015
Parrots
Pixie - Hahn's Macaw
When Pixie's in the sun and has a large bowl of fresh water, she'll give herself a bath.

However, she's scared of the mist bottle - but loves the garden hose on mist setting. (ie birds can love/hate water in different forms)

Sometimes, I'll put her in her travel cage and take her with me into the shower, so that she gets a bit of steam - this may be the easiest way for you to bathe Luna. (You might also let her perch on the shower curtain rod - I don't do this because Pixie is so inquisitive, she'd wind up eating all my shampoo or something :) )

Good to see you're going well with Luna :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The Thing is i want to give a bath to Luna (haven't done that since i brought her home) i am afraid that she might catch cold cause she's roughly 5 months old and also she's really afraid of water:confused:

MYTH! They don't catch a cold cuz they get wet. Colds/infections are caused by viruses.

Spray bottle. Hose on the mister setting. The sink. The shower. Turn the water on lukewarm, put them in.

They should get a good soaking at least once per week. It improves feather quality, makes it easier to open pin feathers, and keeps the dander down.

They also feel better afterwords.

She may be afraid now, but she'll get used to it when she learns this is just a bath, and the same thing happens every week.

Last edited:

Most Reactions