How do I tell age of an amazon

kmiller0320

Jun 20, 2012
I'm adopting a yellow crowned amazon but don't have a lot of information on his age. Was told he's around 10 but I'm not sure. The previous owners didn't take good care of him so I don't know what to believe. Do I have to go to the vet to really find out the age or is there something else that I can do? Are there downsides to adopting an older parrot? I know they can live quite long time.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank God - that determining the age of a Amazon is not as simple as counting the growth rings on their leg bones! If true, there would be lots of one legged Zons around. Truth is, once they are in Adult plumage, determining age is to say the least, darn difficult!

If the prior owner took the YCA to a Vet and if you can get that Vets contact information, their records may provide a hatch date, maybe. Otherwise, the age of ten will likely be the best you will get.

Once, the YCA is yours, plan an Avian Vet visit for testing. There are any number of Posts in nearly all the Forums that support the need for an Avian Vet check-up with a new arrival. Even more so, if the past owner did not provide good care. As part of your Avian Vet visit, I would strongly recommend a DNA Sex test to determine if you have a Male or Female.

We have only rehomed older Amazons and have been very happy to do so!

I strongly recommend reading the first Thread in the Amazon Forum regarding Amazon Body Language. Also, always start from the position that any difficulty you may have is Never The Fault Of The Amazon! Its Always The Fault Of The Human! In addition, eliminate any of your Time Line Expectations: Your Amazon will open up to you at a rate consistent with you learning to understand him. Amazon's communicate with a wide cross-section of Body Language. Learn his language and he will show you the way to his heart.

Other than cleaning-up what someone else screwed-up, NO! The great part about Amazons is that they are the come-back-kids of the Parrot Family. Amazons are smart! As a result, they are going to wait you out, see if you are in fact a Good Human or no better than the last one. If you are willing to invest the time, understanding and love, mixed with a healthy diet and reading the Amazon Body Language thread aloud to your Amazon over and over until your get it. He may not trust you. But, if you do - the Loving Rewards will be will worth it.

There is lots to learn about being owned by an Amazon. Reading the vast contain of the Amazon Forum will open doors, windows of knowledge stored in the many Threads. FYI: Read them aloud to your Amazon!

The reality is; being Loved by an Amazon is something you earn! The more you are willing to be into this relationship, the more you will receive commonly in double amounts.

Amazon's Rule!

Most Reactions

Latest posts