How do i train "Go to perch"?

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I have been trying to find something online but with not a lot of luck... I have started training Nelson to fly to me from his perch which is ok because he likes being with me so it doesnt take a huge amount of encouragement but how do i get him to fly back to his perch? He will happily step onto his perch if i lower him to it in such a way that he is facing it but where do i go from here?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I Just started Fargo about 30cm from the perch, and do a little movement with my arm forward, so he just has to take a tiny jump to get onto the perch ;)

Then would get further away each time..

So take him to a meter, and then 2 meters, then 3, ect ;)

The movement should not be forced, i have seen some videos where the bird is basically thrown off the arm/hand.. It is just a slow forward moving!

When i was teaching Fargo how to fly outside, i would run along with him, and then when he was confident he would let go of my arm!

Here is when i first started teaching him to fly to a perch! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZuUoFeF3E"]Fargo the macaw learning to fly to a perch - YouTube[/ame]

Once he learns how to fly to the perch the movement is not really needed, i just point and tell him to 'go' haha

Last edited:

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i did pretty much the same thing as Tab. cooper caught on pretty fast and now he leaves my hand before i even finish saying the command :)

Most Reactions