How do you educate company

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
Bonny-Shamrock Macaw, Pan-Quaker Parrot, Hermes-Cockatiel
No offense to you Williamsong, but I'm still at awe that a parent would allow their 5-6 year old child to go over to a neighbors house unsupervised. :eek:

Exactly! I tell her mother that she should keep a more watchful eye on her daughter, the little girl actually sneaks out of her house past her parents (who don't seem to watch her very closely) and runs down the street, un supervised and then comes to my house. Her parents show up an hour later saying they couldn't find her anywhere, meanwhile I'm stuck watching someone else's kid, and she REFUSES TO LEAVE and will throw herself on the ground and scream and cry begging to stay, ugh I don't even want to get started lol, it's just a nightmare

Well you are free daycare, I am sure they "lost her" :rolleyes:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
No offense to you Williamsong, but I'm still at awe that a parent would allow their 5-6 year old child to go over to a neighbors house unsupervised. :eek:

Exactly! I tell her mother that she should keep a more watchful eye on her daughter, the little girl actually sneaks out of her house past her parents (who don't seem to watch her very closely) and runs down the street, un supervised and then comes to my house. Her parents show up an hour later saying they couldn't find her anywhere, meanwhile I'm stuck watching someone else's kid, and she REFUSES TO LEAVE and will throw herself on the ground and scream and cry begging to stay, ugh I don't even want to get started lol, it's just a nightmare

That's really scary.... Omg! My daughter is 17 and I still cringe when she leaves the house. But I get the eye roll, and the "oh mom" I couldn't imagine not knowing where my 5-6 yo child was. I would be totally and completely freaked out, and she would never sneak out again. She needs a hobby.

Maybe you should start charging them for daycare, send them s bill for like 10.00 an hour.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Here is the thing and I don't know if anyone has brought this up because I didn't get a chance to read every reply but there is a liability involved here.

Back when I was in college I only had Karma the YNA that would gladly KILL anyone besides me. I had a study group meet at my apartment and one of the guys was being a jerk. I warned him ONE time, when he paid no attention to me and thought it was funny to torment my bird I told him to get out of my house and never come back, it would be an understatement to say I was not nice about it.:mad:
Oh I was tempted to let Karma have a go at him but people sue. No matter how well you think you know someone let them get a digit torn open enough for stitches or nerve damage, add a kid into the mix and the chances go up by about a million that you will be seeing them in court.

Just not worth it and sense other than a handful of really close friends and family I love my birds WAY more than most humans so I really could give less than a tiny mouse squirt what anyone else thinks.:p

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I usually start right off with "don't try to touch anybody, they WILL bite you." And then reinforce it with the stupid ones who reach for the cage by saying "I'm not kidding, he will bite you and it will be your fault, not his." Anyone who still acts like an idiot gets bit. Doesn't happen often.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm with the short and sweet version~ "don't stick your fingers in the cages because they'll bite you." *gasp!* they will?!? Yes- they will.

Last time I had a group of people I went a bit overprotective, but I can't keep an eye on them when I'm running a party. Chili got moved to my bedroom and the door was locked. Everyone else stayed in the living room with their doors Zip tied shut, signs that said "do not touch bird cages", and baby gates as barriers.....(they're not the biters though lol)

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I got a call last night. I guess BF told the guy how i felt. Well the guy called and said he was sorry for the way he acted and it would never happen again. I said Oh wonderful because I was going to come to your home poke your daughter in the nose and teach her nasty words LOL> we both got a laugh out of it. His daughter is 2 .

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I went back and read the whole thread...

I just found out a little neighbor girl has been taking her friends INSIDE MY HOUSE when I am not there! You better believe a conversation was had! We tend not to lock our back patio door for certain reasons and yeah, she was letting herself in, going down the hall into the bird room (which means she had searched the house as she has never been shown where it is) and "looking" at my birds!

As for being rude to people, I once had to yell, actually YELL at a man and forbid him from touching my dog even though he was a guest. He was terrifying my poor puppy and laughed when I told him to stop. Said it would make the dog tough. I told him if he couldn't follow the rules he couldn't touch the dog. He was all "RULES???" And I said "well if you are going to behave like a child I will treat you like a child, and children have rules to keep them from being idiots." All the while hearing my mother in my head saying "if you act like a baby I will treat you like a baby, and babies take naps. Go take a nap!"

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
Here is the thing and I don't know if anyone has brought this up because I didn't get a chance to read every reply but there is a liability involved here.

Back when I was in college I only had Karma the YNA that would gladly KILL anyone besides me. I had a study group meet at my apartment and one of the guys was being a jerk. I warned him ONE time, when he paid no attention to me and thought it was funny to torment my bird I told him to get out of my house and never come back, it would be an understatement to say I was not nice about it.:mad:
Oh I was tempted to let Karma have a go at him but people sue. No matter how well you think you know someone let them get a digit torn open enough for stitches or nerve damage, add a kid into the mix and the chances go up by about a million that you will be seeing them in court.

Just not worth it and sense other than a handful of really close friends and family I love my birds WAY more than most humans so I really could give less than a tiny mouse squirt what anyone else thinks.:p

Very good point Labell. This is true for anything that happens while you have people over at your house.

You leave something on the floor, or in your yard someone trips over? If they get injured they can sue.

I just dont have people over :D

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
I went back and read the whole thread...

I just found out a little neighbor girl has been taking her friends INSIDE MY HOUSE when I am not there! You better believe a conversation was had! We tend not to lock our back patio door for certain reasons and yeah, she was letting herself in, going down the hall into the bird room (which means she had searched the house as she has never been shown where it is) and "looking" at my birds!

As for being rude to people, I once had to yell, actually YELL at a man and forbid him from touching my dog even though he was a guest. He was terrifying my poor puppy and laughed when I told him to stop. Said it would make the dog tough. I told him if he couldn't follow the rules he couldn't touch the dog. He was all "RULES???" And I said "well if you are going to behave like a child I will treat you like a child, and children have rules to keep them from being idiots." All the while hearing my mother in my head saying "if you act like a baby I will treat you like a baby, and babies take naps. Go take a nap!"

Ya i wouldn't be too happy about some random child going into my house either!..did you talk to the parents?

But, as bad as it is. It seems KINDA cute. I mean she likes the birds so much so is going in to hang out with them...granted it is rude and she needs permission.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"Making a puppy tough?!" Oh, brother!

Just leave... Now!

The door is that way. Turn the handle to the right, and please don't slam it on your way out...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There are some very cool and realistic Halloween props that get the message across.... severed fingers, hands missing fingers, etc. :D

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
LOL yeah I think Mark said he used them at one time. That is what I should do . Hook a few to the side of the cage lol

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Nah, I just had them in four corners, pointing to my sign.

I'm big on subtlety...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
i went back and read the whole thread...

I just found out a little neighbor girl has been taking her friends inside my house when i am not there! You better believe a conversation was had! We tend not to lock our back patio door for certain reasons and yeah, she was letting herself in, going down the hall into the bird room (which means she had searched the house as she has never been shown where it is) and "looking" at my birds!

As for being rude to people, i once had to yell, actually yell at a man and forbid him from touching my dog even though he was a guest. He was terrifying my poor puppy and laughed when i told him to stop. Said it would make the dog tough. I told him if he couldn't follow the rules he couldn't touch the dog. He was all "rules???" and i said "well if you are going to behave like a child i will treat you like a child, and children have rules to keep them from being idiots." all the while hearing my mother in my head saying "if you act like a baby i will treat you like a baby, and babies take naps. Go take a nap!"

ya i wouldn't be too happy about some random child going into my house either!..did you talk to the parents?

But, as bad as it is. It seems kinda cute. I mean she likes the birds so much so is going in to hang out with them...granted it is rude and she needs permission.

that is just flat out failure to parent...

Ummm... No. You cannot come into my house when i am not home.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.

Your post seems indicative of the overwhelming majority of feeling towards "non-family" in the house. I'm one of the overwhelming majority :)

I used to be very extroverted and social but experience has made me into pretty much of a hermit. I still love cooking up a storm for gourmet food lovers or sit and have a glass of wine or three. However people are only welcome in my home if they don't get offended by dog hair on their clothes, keep their fingers away from the bird cages, don't tell me to drown my select cuts of beef in a can of mushroom soup, and go home before I have to throw them out.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

Very good point Labell. This is true for anything that happens while you have people over at your house.

You leave something on the floor, or in your yard someone trips over? If they get injured they can sue.

This is why when I trained dogs I would always tell my students that if you are going to have a sign like (beware of dog) just make it a "guard dog" sign and not a "beware of dog" sign.

There is a legal difference in the wording. The beware of dog sign is implies that your dog "could" bite (making you liable) whereas the guard dog sign implies that your dog will/or is trained to bite (making them liable).

I protection trained my dogs, so they were trained to bite. Many burgerlers have actually sued a homeowner and won over a "beware of dog" sign because when they broke in the dog attacked them. They do not take those sign seriously, but a Guard Dog sign they do.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus

Your post seems indicative of the overwhelming majority of feeling towards "non-family" in the house. I'm one of the overwhelming majority :)

I used to be very extroverted and social but experience has made me into pretty much of a hermit. I still love cooking up a storm for gourmet food lovers or sit and have a glass of wine or three. However people are only welcome in my home if they don't get offended by dog hair on their clothes, keep their fingers away from the bird cages, don't tell me to drown my select cuts of beef in a can of mushroom soup, and go home before I have to throw them out.

I think I love you.

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
Don't worry about being rude to people who are being rude. People who dismiss your instructions regarding your pet are being rude. People who interfere with or dismiss your attempts to handle (physically or verbally) your pet in your efforts to get them to comply with your rules, are being rude.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
You better believe I talked to her mom! The mother was surprised, sorry, but not nearly as appalled as she should have been. But by the time I found out, the birds were in the new house.

Yes, he wanted to make my puppy tough and manly. We have not spoken to him since. I believe that man is the reason my dog fears being carried and fears being upside down when he used to be fine with both.

I'm very strict with what you can and cannot do to my pets. I have made children cry, lectured mothers, offended guests, but in the end, I am the one responsible for the safety of my pets and the safety of those who interact with them.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I just say it when people cross the line. When guests come over they have to do their part to be polite and respectful and if they don't, not acceptable. Buddy loves to say Hello to everyone, sucks people in with sweet hellos then tries to attack. My biggest issue is with the nieces and nephews visiting. One niece in particular wouldn't stop messing with Buddy running up to his cage and stopping, I caught her sticking things in his cage so I packed her up and took her home. I told her she wasn't allowed to come over until she could be respectful to what I told her, instructed her, and respect Buddy. She loved getting him going but I'm not going to be responsible for her getting bit and you are not welcomed to my home if you are going harass my pets.

I tell people when they walk in that Buddy will bite, that makes the weary so it works most of the time, except for the kids. My best warning by far was when we had a get together a while back and my cousin Tommy was over. Tommy lost part of his finger in a mower accident years ago. I caught the kids picking at Buddy and I told them to stop, Buddy will bite and to look at Tommy's finger, he stuck his finger in Buddy's cage and look what happened. Tommy didn't miss a beat and wiggles his half a finger at them and says yep see what he did to me? I thought I was going to wet myself laughing so hard, and trying to keep a straight face. The kids' eyes were HUGE! Since then the kids stay way back and just look.

Most Reactions