how do you get rid of cat fleas when you have an African Grey

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Do you have fleas in your house or just on the cat? If they are from your cat, I would treat the cat for fleas. I prefer and use Bravecto for our dog. You can only get it from a vet in the states. It is a tablet that the dog eats.
If you have them in your house such as in carpet or rugs then I would use food grade diatomaceous earth. I would remove your bird from the room and sprinkle it into the carpet. Vacuuming and dumping the contents of the vacuum cleaner every time helps too. But if your cat has fleas you will have to treat the fleas on the cat or you will never get rid of them.

OP
B

Bobby the Grey

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Do you have fleas in your house or just on the cat? If they are from your cat, I would treat the cat for fleas. I prefer and use Bravecto for our dog. You can only get it from a vet in the states. It is a tablet that the dog eats.
If you have them in your house such as in carpet or rugs then I would use food grade diatomaceous earth. I would remove your bird from the room and sprinkle it into the carpet. Vacuuming and dumping the contents of the vacuum cleaner every time helps too. But if your cat has fleas you will have to treat the fleas on the cat or you will never get rid of them.
Hi, Thanks for the info.
I dont have any cats or dogs but have be in contact with people that do and they have kindly passed on the fleas, they are in every room i have been hovering the carpets and spraying upstairs. down stairs is wood floors and its open plan will the diatomaceous earth work on the wooden floors

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Hi, Thanks for the info.
I dont have any cats or dogs but have be in contact with people that do and they have kindly passed on the fleas, they are in every room i have been hovering the carpets and spraying upstairs. down stairs is wood floors and its open plan will the diatomaceous earth work on the wooden floors
It will work everywhere. I would vacuum really good and then sprinkle it one the floors everywhere other than by your bird. I would leave it for two to three days and then vacuum again and reapply. More than likely they are hanging out in your carpet. I put diatomaceous earth around the baseboards and door ways of my house to keep not just fleas, but all other creepy crawlies out.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Hi, for getting rid of cat fleas what you can do is vacuum regularly, wash bedding and fabrics, use diatomaceous earth on wooden floors, and consider flea treatments for your home.
I would be very careful using flea treatments or any kind of chemical for bugs in my house. Many people have lost their birds due to this. Plus diatomaceous earth will work. I have used it in the past.

InsomniacMom

Apr 26, 2023
Parrots
Henry
At Lowe's we sell Terro Flea Traps. They use light and heat to attract the fleas and they get stuck on sticky paper to toss out. No chemicals. No poison.
When it is a infestation of fleas though those are a joke. We got several last year. I would say the Diamatacuous Earth as well. It is a powder and won't hurt anything unless it is inhaled. Just don't put your nose into it and it won't hurt anything.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When it is a infestation of fleas though those are a joke. We got several last year. I would say the Diamatacuous Earth as well. It is a powder and won't hurt anything unless it is inhaled. Just don't put your nose into it and it won't hurt anything.
I suspect you're right about the traps. Doesn't the diatomaceous earth make a huge mess if you put it on carpeting?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
I suspect you're right about the traps. Doesn't the diatomaceous earth make a huge mess if you put it on carpeting?
Putting it on carpet is no different than the baking soda carpet powders that people use. It is a little messy on hard floors but in a matter of 48 you will be flea free. We had fleas when covid hit and we were not able to get the dog his bravecto. Diatomaceous earth was a life safer. We rubbed it into our dogs food and put it all over his bedding within 4 hours most of the fleas were gone. I don't think they will infect parrots in the same way they do dogs and cats. But I do think they will bite them the same way they will bite us.

Most Reactions